Stockton Bridge Old Warehouse - Bridgewater Canal

Dizzy

It's all coming back to me now :shock:

Here's the old warehouse which was used to load the barges on the Bridgewater Canal near to the London Bridge Pub, Stockton Heath. If memory serves me right it was opposite Thorn Marine where the houses are now.

stocktonbridge18ccanalwarehousebrid.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi arty69uk and first of all welcome to the forum :D

I bet you worked a lot harder that today's school leavers eh? So come on own up how many eggs did you break :wink:

I didn't know it had been used by Chester's Farmers Limited so thanks for that. Infact despite knowing that it was used for loading the barges I had no idea what was ever 'loaded' there.

Can you remember anything else about it and what else may have been loaded from there in it's time and when it actually cleased being used as I'd love to know.... and any more info about Cheshire Farmers Ltd too please.

I don't ask for much do I :oops:

Welcome arty69uk, the photo brings back some happy memories I used to pass there every day when going to school at Broomfields also about 1960 there was a small boat hire company operating from there, you could hire a small motor boat with an outboard engine and we often tootled up to the Red Lion at Moore having a couple of pints before returning, on one occasion we arrived at our destination, my brother-in-law to be stood on the bow holding the mooring rope while I steered towards the bank, he attempted to jump from the boat to the bank however the boat being so light that as he jumped all he succeeded in doing was pushing the bow of the boat away from the bank and he dropped straight down into the canal, needless to say he had a wet journey back to the wharf and on the bus home. :lol:

Doesn't look like it took much knocking down!

There's a similar set up on the Bridgewater near Lymm, I'm always amazed every time I'm down that way that it still hasn't slid into the canal!

Couple of photos take just after the demolition about 1980. The building that was to become Thorn Marine (far left) Birchdale road (right).

StocktonHeath2.jpg

Looking the opposite direction, Birchdale road on the left.

StocktonHeath1.jpg

Photo Credits to Canalscape. Canal Cruising 1983 to 1999.

An eBook by Cyril J Wood

Great photo's and thanks for putting them on here :D

How old were you when you left there

Now for the usual sort of daft question from me :oops:

When you say that's you in the middle do your mean the very middle (ie the tall chap) or the younger looking boy to his right with the coat that looks far too big for him ?

Great photo's and thanks for putting them on here :D

How old were you when you left there

Now for the usual sort of daft question from me :oops:

When you say that's you in the middle do your mean the very middle (ie the tall chap) or the younger looking boy to his right with the coat that looks far too big for him ?

The very middle (ie the tall chap) that's me..I left the company 1961.at the age of 19..