Handy tips

Tilly

general rule

A low heat over a longer period....has always served me well.

a nice and simple rule.

Chrispy chips or roast potatoes, after 4/5ths of cooking time lift them out of the fat, allow the fat to get realy hot then dunk them back in for a couple of seconds.

Healthy pretend fried eggs. put water and a touch of white vinegar in your frying pan instead of oil then shallow poach it as though frying. (dont worry you wont tasete the vinegar as the egg does not absorb it and its just there to help the egg keep shape)

fluffy rice.. after thoroughly washing and draining put a tablespoon of vegetable oil in and stir to coat the rice grains. pour the rice into a pan of already boiling water, drop in a whole onion and some vegetable stock to give the rice a little something.

thats it for now.

Thanks, both, sounds yummy :wink:

I know its cheating a bit but the Schwartz ( SP?) roast or wedge potato seasoning mixes are very nice, really cheer a roast potato up, not that they need it but when I was cooking a roast with chicken etc for me and my sister recently I fancied a variation on a theme.

Couple of tips I have picked up:

If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato-it absorbs the excess salt for an instant "fix me up."

Brush beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.

Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle - perfect shaped pancakes every time

To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling

Dust your par boiled roast potatoes with a little seasoned flour before putting onto the roasting tin, helps make wonderful crispy yummy roast potatoes, not for those with concerns about waist lines but now and again wont hurt, go for a nice long walk after, borrow next doors dog :wink: