Gluten Free Recipes?

Captain Chaos

Orgran bread mix is the best one I've found, you can get it over there, if that natural food shop is still near the markets if not you can order on line.

100% rye bread (shrinkenbrot) is gluten free, light rye bread is usually a flour mix.

Try rice bread or polenta bread.

The problem with gluten free is the tendency to choke on it after four or five bites, toasted is best, but that has its difficulties too because it burns around the edges before it toasts in the middle, I slice as thin as possible and toast under the grill on a lower ridge.

Not sure about Gluten free but I had to go Wheat free (is that the same?? ) for a while and as much as I love bread the alternatives were really awful.

I tried most including rye etc etc and they were all really dry, tasteless and odd to say the least.

It also amazed me how many products have wheat in them that you wouldn't expect to have it. Must be really hard for anyone who can't tollerate any form of gluten/wheat etc etc

Amazingly she instinctively seems to know what will hurt her.. Jellied sweets for example tend to contain gluten, cakes, but it's the less obvious foods that can cause trouble.. getting sausages that don't contain gluten is quite difficult, even oven chips have coatings that contain gluten.

The upside is that all fast food is out, the downside is that when she is old enough to be going out with friends she won't be able to join in..

Maybe by the time she is old enough to go out with friends there will be a wider variety (I know someone who takes his own home made bread roll into McDonald's, they are quite happy to fill it with a big mac) People with these food intolerances are on the increase. And maybe they will make the gluten, yeast, wheat, and everything else free, cheaper, it is so expensive. Use rice flour to thicken soups and gravy, it is better and cheaper.

There should be an aisle in your supermarket with gluten free chips and sweets, some of the chips arn't so good but I suppose it's an aquired taste and she might as well start now. On the up side too, she will never be fat, all the fattening stuff is in the additives. But you are right, you have to read every label, seems to be in everything.

Use rice milk in the bread mix instead of water, it is sweeter. In fact rice milk is the best option for coeliacs.

Thanks for the tip about rice milk and thickening with rice flour... There is a reasonable "free from" section in my local supermarket, but the crisps that are ok not on there.. In fact it's only Walkers crisps that are labelled coeliac friendly, and Haribo sweets are the only sweets that are gf that I have found so far. It's the products like oven chips which are coated, or contain gluten which I find amazing.. why would gluten be added to a potato product..

Interestingly when I have taken her out for a meal the chefs all seem to understand about gf and have been quite excellent in producing gf alternatives.

They add flour to frozen wedges, chips etc as they are part cooked and soaked in fat / oil and when cooked in the oven they get a cripsy coat. Dusting your roast potatoes in a little flour when you've par boiled them before you put them in your hot fat and into the oven really does wonders for a cripsy spud, but obviously you'll not be doing that :(

Gluten adds elasticity to foods making them palatable. Unfortunately not digestable for everyone. Just about anything you buy oven or mico ready is a 'no go' as they are all coated with something or other.

But it is getting better. I have worked in hospitality for a few years now, I have regularly gone into the kitchen area and scrubbed down a counter space and prepared food for folk who are alergic to certain foods with dire consequences, food outlets are being made aware of this and are trying to cater for everyone. I'm expecting that in the not too distant future that all these gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast, etc. etc. free foods will be right there along side of everything else.

Failing all else. we have just bought a food dryer, we are still working on the crisps/chips. I will report back when we have the perfect crisp. So far it looks like it might take a while.