Yemen ?

On the face of it, the US/UK air strikes at the Houtis in Yemen would appear common sense, if we ignore any reference to UN backing and the fact the Saudis have been bombing them for years.   But nowadays there are flaws in the concept of gunboat diplomacy - 1.  We are no longer a global sea power and can't even man our ships !   2. Todays terrorist groups have an array of missiles capable of sinking our ships.  3. Then there's the issue of pay-back,   with our non-existent border controls, terrorist groups can and will enter the UK to wreak revenge.   :rolleyes:

I suspect that most of what’s been fired at the ships up to now would have been relatively simple radio-controlled camera drones and that’s why they only needed to take out the comms and runways that these would use. They probably have loads of these things, but you can bet they’re not being brought down with anything quite so cheap and simple.

According to the global ship locating website, there’s still a lot of traffic going through the Red Sea and I’m surprised this info is still being broadcast.

Bill 😊

There was of course a simpler solution, IE re-route sea traffic around Africa,  may have added to costs, but at a $million a pop, missiles cost too.   Also calls in to question our reliance on trade and a need to become more self sufficient.    Believe Houti supporters were out on the streets of London today - peacefully demonstrating !     😉

On 1/13/2024 at 6:38 PM, Observer II said:

There was of course a simpler solution, IE re-route sea traffic around Africa,  may have added to costs, but at a $million a pop, missiles cost too.   Also calls in to question our reliance on trade and a need to become more self sufficient.    Believe Houti supporters were out on the streets of London today - peacefully demonstrating !     😉

The UK has never ever been self-sufficient, I thought you were a fan of history, we have always been a trading nation, as you well know!!!

To me the course of action taken by the Mr Sunak was absolutely correct. We sent warships into the area to protect the international shipping that we rely on, but the Houthis fired on them. The so called proportional response made sense to me but what didn’t was the words of the labour politician who asked what right he had to put seamen’s lives at risk by doing this.

I think some of these politicians just like to hear themselves talk and object just for the sake of objecting; it’s what they do. Just as bad were the long winded arguments about why they weren’t consulted and why they feel military action should be openly debated before any retaleraty action. That's another thing that's never going to happen.

Bill 😊