Car Registrations

Bill

Read an interesting thing on Facebook the other day about the increasing number of people being fined for adjusting the spacing on their car’s registration plate. The police and the DVLA claim this is a serious offence as it makes the plates difficult to read. But that’s difficult to believe as it’s a computer that reads the characters these days rather than the police and computers aren’t interested in just how big or small the spaces are.

Times and technology have changed so I reckon it’s time to stop hanging on to these silly old rules and focus on real crime.

Bill 😊

i have always believed,rightly or wrongly, that you had to get your number plates made by approved dealers who are not allowed to alter either size of letters or the spacing of those letters.

i have seen the odd motor bike with a rear number plate the size of an envelope, you could barely read he registration from two feet away.

i do wonder though if insurance companies would pay out an accident claim if you had altered the spacing of the letters without telling them as they could class it as an undeclared modification which would invalidate the insurance if they wanted to nitpick.

• Upvote 1

Yep. I’ve seen those tiny plates on bikes and even on the odd car and can understand how they’d be difficult for someone to read, although as I said, most of the plate readings these days is done by automatically by computers. I suspect if no official plate suppliers will risk making them, then they must be using something like stick on vinyl.

The number of rules and regulations involved with this to me typifies what’s wrong with this country. In the US, many states allow you to decide your own personalized registration providing it’s unique.

😊

just done a quick goggle and cribbed this from the halfords website

At least one original document from each of the lists below is required for us to supply you with a legal number plate - i.e. you need to bring one document listed under 'proof of identity', and one from the list 'proof of entitlement', required by the DVLA to prove that you are allowed to display the plate. Together, the two documents must let us check your name, address and vehicle entitlement. We only accept the following documents:

1. Proof of Identity:

• Driving licence
  • Bank/Building Society statement issued within the last six months
  • Current utility, telephone or Council Tax bill issued within the last six months
  • Passport
  • National ID card issued by the Government of a state of territory other than the UK
  • Debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  • Police warrant card
  • Armed forces identity card

Remember - whichever Proof of Identity document you bring needs to show your name and address!

2. Proof of Entitlement:

• A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) (Please be aware only the new red V5C Certificates are accepted, and not the old blue V5 Certificates)
  • The tear-off slip (V5C/2) from (V5C section 10)
  • A Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)
  • A Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate (V778)
  • A Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11)
  • A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)
  • An Authorisation Certificate (V948) from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp, or a downloaded hard copy of the eV948 (Unfortunately we cannot accept forms shown to us on phones.)
  • A letter of authorisation from Fleet Operators (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C

For us to get your registration plates made, you may sometimes need to provide a third document if the two documents brought into store do not show your address. For example, if you bring a debit card and V948 into store, neither document shows where you live - so you'd need to bring in another listed document for proof of address.

Please note: These are legal guidelines imposed by the DVLA, and sadly we can't provide you with new or replacement registration plates without the correct documents!

The eV948

As of March 2015, the DVLA allows you put your personalised number plate registration (PR) number on retention online. You can receive instant confirmation that your personalised number plate has been put on retention, and you'll be told what the replacement registration number for the vehicle will be.

The DVLA also released an electronic version of the V948 certificate, called the eV948. You can download this certificate and present it along with your other paperwork to have your replacement plate made up.

they will only make legal number plates that conform with dvla regulations.

so anything else these days must be either home made jobs or done via the internet from certain websites.