Carbon Trading?

observer

Anyone know how this is intended to actually work on the ground? :roll: If one pays cash for petrol etc; how do they know ? :? Will we be forced to use some kind of card for every transaction? :? And if we're all going to be issued with a personal card, does this mean we no longer need ID cards? :roll::wink:

The version I heard from the commitee that thought up this idea is that you would carry a "credit card".

He wanted to start it for electricity and gas to begin with, when you pay your bill it works out how much carbon you have used and deduct from your allowance.

Given that the government is incapable of running a whelk stall, the idea that they would be able to keep tabs on how much CO2 each and every one of us was producing is laughable. Any scheme they did produce would be nothing more than yet another tax scam. :roll::roll:

No doubt Asp: but I'm interested in the details of this notional exercise:- let's assume some of us don't want to play their game and insist on paying for everything with cash or cheque, how do they know what or how much carbon you've consumed? :? Perhaps to an extent, with the co-operation of the Utilities they may be able to keep tabs on you, but not with everything :wink:

I think what they're talking about is a smart card, so whenever you buy goods or services the card is swiped and so are some of your carbon "points" until your credit is used up at which point you would have to buy some more credits. The same principal as a pay as you go phone card really, so it wouldn't matter which method of payment you use. :roll::roll::roll: