Worldwide GPS failure

Bill

On the 9th of this month my company saw hundreds of UK taxis suddenly disappearing from screens as the mobile devices that the drivers were using stopped working. The devices were mainly Samsung J1 and J3 and it wasn’t just here in the UK but right across the world. Clearly some kind of firmware glitch disabled the GPS function although many think it might be deliberate in order to sell newer phones.

Here's a link to my original report to Samsung

Samsung have eventually acknowledged the problem and claim to be working on  fix.

Bill 😊

Yep, a lot of others said that Sid but at least in the case of Apple there was some logic behind what they did, and the results weren’t anywhere near as dramatic as this that stopped millions of people around the world from being able to work. We’ll probably never know whether this was and unforeseen bug or a deliberate act.

Bill 😊

well at least they are "working" on it.

fortunately it does not affect my phone as far as i know, but then again i hardly use it for anything other than the odd text and for the calculator.

did try that link you put up but could not get rid of the cookie agreement option so could only read about half the text on the page.

• 1 month later...

Just a final word on this issue.

The problem turned out to be not actually with the phone, but with one of Goole's remote server's that had somehow been misconfigured.

So, the problem has been fixed but I reckon the vast majority by now would have thrown the old one away and bought new.

Bill 😊