Tate room summary: The Home Front

The Home Front: Totes Meer

Episode six: The Mystical West

Tate room summary: The Mystical West

The Mystical West: Cader Idris

Other BBC output

BBC THREE/English Regions

[ 07.07.2005, 03:09: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Just watched it again and it was just as good.

Last night I found a large chcolate bar and tucked in, yummy.

Anyway the wife said today whose stared eating dads father's day present?

That's all you were getting, never mind I said I bought a copy of 'A picture of Britain' yesterday wrap it up and give me that. It really is a good book. :D But don't take my word for it read amazon.co.uk

-

Synopsis

I have always loved painting and scenery. The connection between the British landscape seen by all of us with the naked eye and the same landscape seen through the eyes of artists, musicians and writers is fascinating. In A Picture of Britain I will be exploring these links and looking at their impact on our national character, seeking out the countryside we admire and the reasons we cherish it.? David Dimbleby Accompanying a major new BBC One series presented by David Dimbleby and an important exhibition at Tate Britain, A Picture of Britain is a celebration of the British landscape and the art that it has inspired, from Constable to Lowry, from Turner to Nash. Written by David Dimbleby and leading experts on British art from Tate, it is beautifully illustrated with landscape photography and great works of art. From the slopes of Snowdonia to the industrial Black Country. from the grandeur of the Scottish Highlands to the meadows of Suffolk, the British landscape has inspired artists and writers for generations. But the authors show that it is only in the last two hundred years, stirred by art and poetry, that large numbers of people have sought out and visited wilder and more rugged vistas. In paintings, photographs and words, this remarkable book captures our rich cultural heritage, creating for the reader A Picture of Britain.

[ 11.06.2005, 21:29: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Amazon have now published my review of this book and the series is just mouth watering... web page

Here is what I wrote and people seem to like what I've written, they can't be from Warrington World Wide :D

Customer Reviews

Avg. Customer Review:

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other shoppers!

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

Combines the Best of the BBC, Tate and much much more, June 11, 2005

Reviewer: Geoff Settle from Warrington, Cheshire United Kingdom

As soon as I had finished watching the first episode of the series I knew that I had to go and look for the book that accompanies it and then get to the Tate Gallery when the exhibition takes place.

As soon as I placed the book in my hand I knew that I was going to buy it. The writing is informative and will allow everyone to enjoy not only the art through the pictures and words but the associated photographs of the landscape.

I haven't seen it advertised yet but I'm sure that there will be a CD of the music coming soon to complete the package.

The series like the book gives you those little extras all the time and weaves the arts of painting, music, literature together as well as the romance, fear and life of the artists. It takes you on a journey not only visually but in a sense physically and emotionally.

You want to go to the places and I bet when you do you will take this book and trace the footsteps of the artist but watch out.

Don't do as Gough did on fall off striding edge going up or down Helvellyn. I remember the time that I was up their on the top and looked back to where my footsteps had been right across a snow edge with Gough's fatal drop to the Red Tarn below. I was lucky he was not so take care and don't read the book while you are walking as you may get drawn in too far.

• 3 weeks later...

You are so right, Geoff. I have also been following the series and think it is superb.

But from the general level of taste displayed by posters on this forum, don't expect to get many to agree with you. This is a series based on great works of art, good music and, above all, some of the most wonderful landscapes on earth. There is little evidence that any of these things are much appreciated by the average poster I am afraid. If only they knew what they were missing!

Thanks Adam I missed last Sunday's episode (I was laughing my socks of at Tom O'Connor in my home town of Liverpool and did he take the mick out of us scoucers, your should he did, we had tears rolling down our cheeks,

I will be watching the re-run on Saturday as it sends me into seventh heavan. :D

[ 07.07.2005, 03:09: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Drat I missed Saturday's rerun, I'd been out in the sun all night and fell asleep. But only 90 minutes to go until the last episode.

I hope that some schools will invest in the DVDs when they come out as it covers so much of the British and Irish Art, music, history an excellent series.

The BBC must get an awrd for it as it is definitely one of their best yet and I've still got a trip to London to see the associated Tate Gallery exhibition. Fantastic. :D:D:D

Pity you missed an episode, Geoff. Although I also appreciate Tom O'Connor (but didn't realise he was still going!) I don't think he was worth missing this series for. Still, you may be able to cadge a DVD or they may (will!) repeat it again. If I had recorded it I would have sent you a copy, but I didn't.

Glad to know you intend to visit some of the places. So do I - although I have been to some already.

If I had a complaint it was that they squeezed too much into too little time. They could have made the series longer. But I was very impressed with David Dimbleby. He should do more of this type of thing. I think his old man would have been proud of him.

I note you have had little response from other posters, as I predicted. We do seem to be mixing with a lot of lowbrows!

Cheers Adam, the series did bring back a lot of good memories for me as I have visited a lot of the places.

I'm haven't been to the top of Snowdon yet and did try running up their whilst my wife stayed behind with my son having a pick nick. Unfortunately not being as fit as I used to be I turned back when I ran out of release time, but it was a great run and I got as far as the shot that they showed of the great man in the train.

Similarly I studdied Cadar Idris in Geography at school and again I have run half way up but not yet to the top. Now that my training is progressing I might just get out there one weekend and tick these two mountains off my list of achievements. :wink:

If Mark Kinch can get to the top of Snowdon and back in an hour then I'll be able to do it in a day, better take some Kendal Mint Cake with me :wink: .

I think that the series was just about the right length as it teased us into wanting to see more and get out their with our boots and watercolours and enjoy.

Adam,

That's not very nice.

Geoff,

I went up Snowdon when I was 7, but that was up the donkey track, and because my Mother was pregnant, we came down on the train.

If you are serious about going up, go up the climbing side.

I just wish I could go up again but unfortunately my leg wouldn't cope.

Cheers, now those where the days when your parents took you out for a good brisk walk. :D

One place that I think he missed unless I nodded off for a power nap was the Malverns, they must have been painted by someone and then there was that famous English composer whose house is a national treasure and about 2 miles from the village. Do you know who I mean?. Elgar. :D

The wonders of the web, here's a link to the Atr's and Music of the Malvern Hills from last years Autumn special. web page

-

[ 12.07.2005, 05:30: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

AAAAAAH, so that was it, Peter!

Well, it may not be nice but the evidence suggests that it is a fact. However, that does not mean I think ALL posters are lowbrows.

When Geoff first posted on this topic I predicted he would get little support. Apart from myself, your good self and one person whose post suggests he is not really in tune with the subject, there has been a resounding silence in response. Which suggests that most posters did not see this TV programme, even though it was widely publicised. Why not? Because they are not interested. Probably they prefer soaps and panel games.

I have no problem with that, because I don't have to watch the stuff. But there was a time when people who (probably through no fault of their own) lacked the education to appreciate fine art and the better things of life, at least would admit it. These days lowbrows won't admit they ARE lowbrows. They argue that the Beatles are as good as or better than Beethoven, that Coronation Street compares with Shakespeare, etc.

This is what I deplore and why I will continue to ridicule their pathetic views on music, art, culture, etc.

I suppose it all stems from two or three generations of people who have been led to believe they are all as good as the next man when, quite obviously they are not. All men are not equal!

So, there we are, that's why I am sometimes not "nice" when I post here. Sorry if you don't like it and, I repeat, I am not tarring all posters with the same brush. There are some very erudite posts made on a variety of subjects. But, by heck, there are even more idiotic ones!

Adam,

My comment was a tongue-in-cheek post.

I agree with what you are saying.

It is like choosing a nice wine.

Some think wine is wine, but to others its different.

Still, it wouldn't do for all of us to be the same.

Keep posting, I love to see the responses.

Adam: all people are not equal

I don't think there's anyone that can take issue with that. I think that's why Thomas Jefferson or someone wrote: all men are CREATED equal -- but even that hasn't held up - because there are birth defects and absolutely horrible places to be born. Maybe he should have written: All men should be equal until they prove they are not...

What did you think about Aldous Huxley's BRAVE NEW WORLD - where future humanity is born in bottles with tinctures of chemicals and in the bottle brain-washing -- D workers are BEST!!! I suppose there wouldn't be any terrorists or unhappy people. One man's answer to our troubles.

I haven't seen any announcements yet about our public television stations airing this British series, but I'm looking forward.