Passport Control?

observer

How does it work?   Passports carry a serial number, if scanned; does your photo etc appear on screen at the control point? So if a central data base exists, even if you tried using a stolen passport, the red flags would appear; or am I thinking again?!

How many passports in the World?, Country's do not share information ie passport photographs with other nations , so I would say your not thinking as usual, Country's do share passport numbers when they are stolen, but it's quite easy to change the number. You would have to have a pretty big memory to store everyone's pass port picture world wide, and then you have to have access, and as passports are being updated renewed and applied for all the time just think how many people you would need to run it, and after recent events would you trust the Americans to run it?

If they scan the passport a facial recognition programme will compare the picture in the passport with your face, so if you have grown a beard or had a facelift after your passport was issued you may get detained for a while. the person doing the manual check will also check to see that your passport is valid and does not expire whilst you are visiting the country, in the case of non-native paassport holders.

There is an epassport that has a chip embedded to enable you to pass through border control without the need for you to show it to a living person as such. Again there is probably a facial recognition element to this as well otherwise you could use anybodies passport.

And before anybody else brings it up, how that would work with a person wearing a burkha (spelling optional at present) be they female or male i do not know. that is probably one best left to the paranoids and such.

We now live in an "E"-world, with data of one kind or another stored on computers, with the capacity to link systems or even snoop into systems (like the NSA);  so don't try and tell me Kije, that there are too many people to record.  Yes, Governments, seem to have a hard time building such systems and evidently lack the imagination to use them effectively. Despite all the security bulls**t at airports, it seems criminals/terrorists can get through using a "stolen" passport - so it's no wonder our borders are like a sieve.

You don't know what you are talking about, you would have to get every government in the World to use the same system, as you have pointed out look how hard our government finds in to implement a new computer system, then times it by every Country in the World, even before that you would have to get every Country to use it and agree to base it some where, not an easy task and probably why it has not been done, and why it remains a pipe dream or the fanciful idea of some one who knows little of world governments and computers :wink:

I've not got a passort or a photo driving licence so I appear not to exist when it comes to proving who I am........ I'm not at all photogenic so I'm not upgrading my drivers licence :lol:

I'm the same Dizzy - no passport since 1999 (Drives Mrs G batty cause we can't go abroad together).

However I always show my work pass which does have a photo when I'm flying of sailing to the Isle of Man for the TT and I always get in :)

Not all data is shared, as some Country's cannot be trusted, Israel got into trouble a couple of years ago when some if their Mossad agents were court using stolen passports, as I remember one if them was Irish, I will add that they weren't caught at the airports, how long do you think it would take if you were stopped at an airport to trawl though 39 million passports to see if yours was on the list?

Google seem to throw out quite a few results with just a single word search, surely our security systems can better google, if not then maybe they should take over the security system.

In saying that a search on my name a few years back threw up six results for my full name only one of which was me. There were something like about 70 or 80 thousand results for my first name , last name and variations thereof.

in saying that a search on my name a few years back threw up six results for my full name only one of which was me. There were something like about 70 or 80 thousand results for my first name , last name and variations thereof.

Were Dr. Evil and Sid Vicious results you got? :)

photo-6577.jpg

Sid-Vicious-246010-2-402.jpg