Barosso gets something right

asperity

Churchill was still clinging to Empire Asp, and fought tooth and nail to keep it, he thought with empire we would not need Europe, as we could trade with empire. So his comments are being used out of context, I presume you already new that and were just causing mischief :wink:

Or is it desperation in resurrecting Churchill for your cause. :wink:

Indeed Churchill wanted to retain "the Empire", perhaps he was enamoured by the idea of "the colonies" feeding British factories with cheap raw materials, to be turned into finished products for export, which still could have been the case with the commonwealth? Instead, we opted to join a club of identical economies, in direct competition with our own.

I think he would have probably thought it so ironic that being the country defeated Germany twice in two wars to free Europe from tyranny; we now face a new federal tyranny and are totally under the control of the enemy we defeated.... I know I do!

Taken from a Churchill Speach Baz, more of a federalist than you thought :wink:

At this most fateful moment in the history of the modern world The Governments of the United Kingdom and the French Republic make this declaration of indissoluble union and unyielding resolution in their common defence of justice and freedom against subjection to a system which reduces mankind to a life of robots and slaves.

The two governments declare that France and Great Britain shall no longer be two nations, but one Franco-British Union.

Maybe Churchill was in favour of a Franco-British alliance.....maybe.... but I doubt he would have been in favour of a Franco-British-German-Dutch-Slovakian-Slovenian- Austrian-Belgian-Bulgarian-Romanian-Croatian-Czech-Cypriot-Danish-Estonian-Finnish-Irish-Greek-Hungarian-Italian-Latvian-Hungarian-Lithuanian-Maltese=Portuguese-Polish-Spanish-Swedish and Luxembougian(??) alliance where we were dictated to by Germany!

Churchill wasn't too fond of the Germans!

Baz,

Asp to his credit saw right though it, he did indeed say what I posted,but he said it on the eve of war, so I took it out if context, it was a speech to lift British and French Hearts on the eve if war, as I said earlier it is impossible to say what Churchill would have thought about the EU. Churchill did so many brilliant speeches it is easy to cut a bit out of one and make it seem he was for or against anything, you need to know where he said it and to whom. :wink: