Glasgow 2 - Portsmouth 0.

observer

Watching Question time last night; I was amazed that Tory, Anna Soubry (supposedly a defence minister) verbally attacked Farage when he said that some Royal Navy ships were being built in South Korea.... "No No No" was the retort by her; obviously oblivious to the fact that the Navy's new replenishment ships are indeed being built in South Korea

She was more interested in having a go at him over his stance on immigration.... she did lose it a bit at one point; helped by a woman in the audience.... I'm sure that helped put a nail in her political coffin!

I think she pegged him with his claim that 2 million more Bulgarians and Romanians would be coming to Britain than their combined total population adds up to.  It was funny to watch.

Was she correct though? (depending on which population counts you believe)

Euromove.org.uk quotes Romanias Population at 21.8 million and Bulgarias population at just over 7 million (so just a tad under 29 million) http://www.euromove.org.uk/index.php?id=20539

Euromoves statement on their homepage reads: "

The European Movement is a not-for-profit, independent, all party and grass roots organisation. We call for closer integration and co-operation at the EU level in areas where collective EU action can deliver better results than individual member states can when acting on their own.

We also want more powers to be given to the democratically elected institutions of the EU and more popular involvement in its intergovernmental decision-making structures. A strong EU must have its people at the center {sic}of where decisions are made."

So hardly on Mr Farages side!

So Mr. Farage , even using the most favourable figures available, would have us believe that every single man, woman and child from 2 countries will all simultaneously up sticks and move here?  What a ridiculous claim and no wonder people accuse him of scare mongering, and as you can probably guess from my previous posts regarding the Tories, I'm not a fan of theirs either.

Others quote figures of

"Romania and Bulgaria have 29 million people between them" New Statesman

"Romania has a population of 22 million and Bulgaria 7 million, 29 million in total;" Open Democracy.net

"7.305 million (2012)
Bulgaria, Population:" Google

"21.33 million (2012)
Romania, Population" Google

I think Mrs Soubry may have been wrong on that issue; just as she was when she said that no Royal Navy ships were being built in South Korea; accusing Farage of scaremongering..... I don't think he was scaremongering, I think it was more the fact that she was trying to hide the real facts from the audience of Question Time!

He hasn't said they will all come; he has said they have the right to come and we couldn't stop them if they did because of the open door immigration of the EU.... He was right about how many Poles would end up here lets hope he is wrong on this one

our country and its leaders, instead of worrying about how many immigrants are picking our fruit and veg and propping up our NHS, should perhaps have a look at why so many of our indigenous population won't.  when things get tough I suppose jonny foriner is an easy scape goat and Farage plays on those fears for his own ends.  The party is riddled with and led by loons but at least they are splitting the Tory voters.  Not all bad then.

He hasn't said they will all come; he has said they have the right to come and we couldn't stop them if they did because of the open door immigration of the EU.... He was right about how many Poles would end up here lets hope he is wrong on this one

apparently his parties flyer claimed so

EVERY individual citizen of the EU. is ENTITLED to enter the UK as part of the free movement of labour treaty. Of course that doesn't mean that they ALL will, just those "looking for a better life", much better pay and benefits than Bulgaria or Rumania. So we're speculating on numbers; Labour got it widely wrong with the number of Poles, so it seems we're getting no estimated numbers from the Government, guess they're just crossing their fingers and hoping it won't be too bad. EU entrants don't actually have to have a job in order to get here, though many are now being recruited directly by UK firms; and presumably will be entitled to the full range of benefits (child allowance etc), as well as loading our classrooms and Doctors surgeries etc.

Back to shipbuilding: Seems the Government is to purchase ships for the RN from S/Korea - obviously cheaper. BUT, all those skills from Portsmouth will be lost, no new apprentices, and workers forced onto the dole. Now wouldn't it be worth the extra expense, in the long run, to build ships in the UK, thus retaining those skills, providing employment and tax-payers, rather than unemployed tax-consumers?

The South Korean ship building industry is more modern than ours, Hyundai ect, but I am not sure your right about South Korean labour costs being cheaper,Most South Korean infrastructure is both better and more modern than ours, South Korea is a very developed Country.Internet speeds in there Country are typically a lot quicker than our own.

Watched Question time on Thursday (from Portsmouth) and there was some union guy called Paul Kenny who represents a lot of the workers who will lose out when the shipyard closes in Portsmouth.

He said some very interesting things about the MOD ship orders. If it is a warship; it has to be built in the UK. If it is a supply vessel (like the ones being built in S Korea) then it goes to open tender and the British yards did indeed decline to bid once they knew S Korea was in the running too

If the supply vessels had been designated as "Warlike" they would have had to be built in the UK. He also said that although British yards may be dearer, we now have a situation that instead of the Government subsidising these ships to be built in the UK by designating them as "warlike", we now lose a thousand skilled workers, and have to pay benefits on top of everything else. £500million has now gone abroad and we are paying to put a thousand people on benefits.... madness