Team Spirit

footyfan

The team are playing well but more importantly there appears to be a real spirit there now. Everyone in the squad are working hard and I predict a successful season ahead. All areas of the pitch seem to be working efficiently and we look like a proper bonded unit. Happy days!!!

• Upvote 1

The keeper did a great job and looked confident. Caught and punched appropriately.

I particularly enjoyed the efforts of the midfield in closing down and nullifying their middle players  allowing Mannix to play to his strengths, which ultimately led to his MOM award. Hard work and not eye catching but necessary to win games against good teams. Centre mid is our biggest improvement from last season. Also, the signing of Wharton and Metcalfe is gonna be potent!

Can only add an honourable mention for Chris Gahgan. He was several people's pick for man of the match behind the goal, not just for his work on the ball but off it too. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was his closing down and his tackle that have us possession for one of our goals

I have said this before, our midfield, when Mannix and Dogan play together, might as well not be there.

As for team spirit it quickly vanished when things were going against us, everyone blaming each other for their mistakes.

Positives is this keeper looks the real deal, even if he didnt have much to do.

the most important thing about yesterday was the three points. if you want to be a top team then grinding out results is the most important thing.

p.s on a side note Prescot beat New Mills 7-1, does this put our result in perspective?

Keeper does look the biz!! As for midfield.....I agree with Burgerman. You need complementary players and a balance between creativity and hard work. We get that when Mannix and West play together OR Dogan and West play together. You can't expect to be creative if you don't win the ball and you wouldn't get anywhere with a midfield filled with Xabi Alonso types!!! I understand that West was injured yesterday but Millington could have done a job for the team at the expense of Dogan OR Mannix. The other option would be a formation change to 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 to incorporate a ball winner within the centre mid positions. The game against Stoke City XI was a prime example of how things could be.

There was a marked difference between Saturday and the previous Tuesday. I did think we couldnt dominate and control midfield like we need to and that was the difference on Saturday. I agree that there needs to be a balance and we didnt have that on Saturday hence the drop in performance. Easily fixed again as indicated above.

However as has been mentioned, points are points and frankly dont care how we get them save that good football would be nice to go with them. Only worry (and a slight one at that) is that better teams will do more damage than New Mills / Ossett did and we need not to be complacent because of the good start.

Great result against Bamber Bridge. 0 - 3. 1st half was tough going and we were under the cosh for a lot of the time and lucky not to concede. Second half was excellent and Dogan bossed the midfield after Mannix went off. We looked sharper after his departure and played some decent football on the ground in the 2nd period. No stupid long balls for a change. Well done boys!! Defensively sound and the strikers took their chances well......... Chuffed  :lol:

I agree with footy fan, we looked better in the second half, after Mannix was replaced by Chris Gahgan, Peter sat in and Gahgan went forward, think that this could be our best starting 11. Three good goals, saw Town bring home the three points One each for Killer and Big Ben, before Gahgan put the cherry on top with a low finish from the edge of the box. Six in a row now, lets push on and get our names in the bag for the next round of the FA Cup, before making the trip to Yorkshire to take on Wakefield

Come on you Yellows

Rob

Not sure about it being our best starting 11 with West not being available for last night's game. Felt that Millington was chasing shadows at times but improved in the second half. The overall signs are very positive though with the sharp, incisive passing game on display when Mannix was replaced. We don't always need the "Hollywood" pass!!!!

Defence was pretty solid today but unfortunately the team looked disjointed. There was no link from midfield to our forwards until near the end when West appeared from the bench.

Still....a clean sheet and another shot at the FA Cup on Monday. Big shout for the keeper today who was faultless.

I agree, midfield was the issue on Saturday. Just didnt control the ball. Still think we are a bit light in there and need someone who can put a foot on it and distribute. Surprised Mooney didnt get on to liven it up. Keeper definitley kept us in it. Supporters Man Of the Match.

Team Spirit was exemplified last night against New Mills in the FA Cup Replay. It was a "backs to the wall" performance and the hard work paid off. Robinson was a magnificent leader and the keeper a hero for his penalty double save. We did look vulnerable through the centre in the first half and the manager made necessary adjustments bringing on West at half time, which created an impregnable extra defensive layer and  helped to restrict New Mills to playing down the flanks. The resulting bombardment of crosses was dealt with by Robinson and McCarten and at times we rode our luck, but a touch of luck is what the lads deserved. It was emotional at the full time whistle and the fantastic travelling fans gathered to applaud the players off after a brave, hardworking and stubborn display. Double Chuffed  :P  :P

It's Saturday, which hopefully means another 3 points for the lads. Every game feels like a cup final at the moment as we strive towards keeping the run going. I just hope that the team stay focused and take nothing for granted. Could  be a banana skin today unless we show the same desire that we saw in the New Mills replay. Loved the commitment last time out. More of the same please!!!!   :lol: