Choice?

observer

Seems the choice for the next election would appear to be between - Labour and Lib-Dums who want to stay in the EU, The Tories who want to re-negotiate our membership, then have a referendum OR UKIP, who just want to get us out of the EU. So I guess it's a no brainer, for Euro-sceptics.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is they don't just want that - they have other policies and tendencies which means people should be wary of.

I think we have more to worry about the three main parties Nick when it comes to bad policies.... look at their track record for a start....

UKIP all the way for me now and probably a lot of other people; unless the main parties get their act together and start listening to the will of the electorate (which they aren't doing at the moment!)

Well, the LibDums certainly aren't, they want to dig us deeper into the EU mire; and Liebour prefer to pander to the London chattering classes, rather than their old core supporters.  The idea that you can change "from the inside", this corrupt club, where the majority are living off the minority, is frankly ludicrous.

Think perhaps middle or upper class, London centric luvvies Asp: I've noted a few TV journalists lately, in total denial that amongst the great unwashed, Europe is now a major issue. Perhaps they'll be in for a rude awakening at next year's Euro Elections.

Think perhaps middle or upper class, London centric luvvies Asp: I've noted a few TV journalists lately, in total denial that amongst the great unwashed, Europe is now a major issue. Perhaps they'll be in for a rude awakening at next year's Euro Elections.

Can't get more London-centric than Nigel Fartrage , professional politician and a career in the financial markets.

The difference is Nick; the chattering class, intellectual luvvies think they know what's best for the rest of us, without actually asking. Nigel has clearly tapped into a democratic deficit by resonating with the Plebs; and anyone who likes a fag and a pint can't be bad!

The difference is Nick; the chattering class, intellectual luvvies think they know what's best for the rest of us, without actually asking. Nigel has clearly tapped into a democratic deficit by resonating with the Plebs; and anyone who likes a fag and a pint can't be bad!

Saying what ever he thinks people want to hear - how like any other career politician.

Nice to see that smoking and drinking are how you judge people Obs - nothing shallow about you :P

It appears that some of Fartrage's crew find the whole policy thing a  they get in

e.g. their leader in Suffolk

"it was difficult to come up with coherent county-wide policies.

He said: “We’re still working on that. I don’t know if we’ll have them in place by next week.........”

Suppose they could just ask the local village idiot what he thinks.... :lol:   (as long as he isn't a bit swarthy or with his civil partner)

So your accepting that he's saying "what people want to hear" then Nick?!  

Like a snake oil salesman working a gullible crowd, just don't go thinking he believes in what he is saying.

As for smoking - some of us plebs realise it aint good for us, don't be so patronising as to think we can't make up our own minds.

The City of London is probably THE largest financial centre in the World, and doesn't depend on EU membership. However, seeing you have problems seeing beyond next week; let's run through it - The EU currently contains two levels of membership - those in the Euro-Zone and those not in the Euro-Zone. The Euro-Zone is having a fiscal crisis, and most fiscal experts accept that more political union will be required to overcome that crisis. So unless folk desire to join the Euro-Zone and surrender even more National sovereignty by sinking deeper into a Union; we are inevitably only going to become some kind of associate Member on the periphery of decision making and clearly out voted by the majority in any case. So, we have to decide whether such a weak and peripheral position, which is going to occure anyway, is really worth £56million per day of UK tax-payer's money?

Simple Obs, if or when the UK leaves the EU, the UK as the banking capital of the EU ends, which means fiscal and job losses, and as the city is such a big earner for the government means trouble, I think you need to look how much EU work the city does, Countries in the EU will use banking centres within the EU. And to carry the point even America has said f we leave the EU are trade negotiations with other Countries would be very hard and put us at a disadvantage, as we would be speaking with a smaller voice.

London is, and has always been, a world financial centre, regardless of the EU.  The probable reason for a preference for London, rather than Bonn or Paris, is less EU style regulation !  Notice you didn't respond to the second part of my post, about paying £56million per day for a peripheral membership of the EU -  bit difficult for you to admit you'll be supporting entry into the Euro next?!

How much of the cities work is European based?

Warning Obs, It's a lot, and if it goes to say Bonn or Paris, it will make their financial centre bigger than London, The city also attracts lots of work because it is in the EU. As to your second part how much of that money actually comes back in the form of EU grants, yes we spend more, the EU is about a level playing field,as you well know, I thought you would be for it, as you drivel on about exploitation, The EU is trying to do something about it.

More than half derivatives traded in London are EU denominated, which would go if we left, so please tell me of your plan to fill the whole, and just to let you know over 10% of our GDP comes from the city. It won't be a small hole.

How about you answer some of my points Obs, On a personal front as I have said many times I am pro European, If it was up to me, I would have us right in the middle, taking it forward, not leaving it up to the Germans and then moaning about it, We need to be a bigger player in the EU, instead of being on the fringe. Perhaps if we were more in the middle the perception that you and others have about Germany running it would diminish.

If you believe that we, even with German, French and Scandanavian support (as the main net payers) would outvote the rest of net takers, your living in dreamland. If you believe that we could resolve the CAP or the costly transfers of the EU parliament between Brussels and Strasbourg without French acceptance, your again dreaming. But it's good to know, your FOR us joining the Euro - nice to see you've come out of the closet !