Choice?

observer

Voting goes on size of population Obs, I would have thought you new that, being so against, that's why it's possible to beat The French and the Germans.

The bigger population the more MEPs you have, with the exception of Germany who did not take up their full quoter after East Germany came back into the fold, as they did not want to upset the French.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banking job losses??

and I'm sure everyone will be mourning those then!

as for choice. Ireland voted no to the EU, France did as did Denmark... they were all bullied and bribed into not listening to the democratic views of the electorate... so much for EU democracy

Think YOU need to do your homework on the EU Kije:   the Council of Ministers negotiate and vote on Treaty changes and each has a veto. However, if you are at odds with the rest, they merely move into another room to carry on making the decisions. We now have a two tier EU, we are outside the Euro-Zone, therefore not part of changes they will be making for more political and fiscal union. You either want to be sucked further into this by adopting the Euro (which you seem to now desire); or you don't. And if you don't, they only way is out.

No it's not supposition, Do you think most EU Countries will choose to trade in London, if its outside the EU Obs. It's a simple question.

And given that the city is responsible for at least 10% of our GDP, and over 50% of derivatives traded are EU denominated. You don't have to be a rocket scientist.. And on top of that Obs, a lot of Manufacturing is here because we are in the EU.

It's a question the Euro Skeptics must face and answer in the coming debate.

On the basis of that argument, all non-EU member Countries should be destitute, which they clearly are not. We live in a global economy NOT a European one; it's highly competitive and not helped by the dead hand of Brussels red tape. So keep up the scare stories, cos the fundamental choice will be a Independent sovereign UK or a sub-state of the EUSSR, continually subsidising poorer Countries as it extends into Turkey etc to find more begging bowls.

Are you saying the EU would continue to do all f it business though London, if London is no longer in the EU, I will help you Obs, not all business will go, but most will.

So on the city front alone, I'll make it easy we won't mention manufacturing, What will happen to the UKs GDP, and the city if or when the UK leaves.

The reason non-EU countries invest via the City of London have more to do with less regulation than location; otherwise they would already be operating through Bonn, Paris or Brussels, As for global fiscal confidence, I doubt foreign investors have much confidence in the Euro Zone at the moment - with financial basket cases like Spain, Italy and Greece involved !

No Obs, Germany and especially France have been growing their financial industry, The UK leaving the EU, they would gain work that historically in the UK.

I take t you have no answer, for the losse the UK would undoubtedly get from leaving, and we have not even talked about manufacturing, and also are ability to get inward investment into the UK. Now I know someone like yourself would not be bothered as you are no longer working and are now taking out of the system, but I do think you owe it to people who are working to let them know their taxes will go up to cover the losses to GDP, And would you be willing to sacrifice some of your pension to help with the gap their undoubtably be, or would you leave it to the tax payers to take on the extra burden?

FUD Lt Kije, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. This is the weapon that the pro EU activists use. There is nothing concrete there, just the suggestion that, without the EU, the UK is a lost cause. What has happened to the Britain that once ruled the world? Surely it can't be true that the only Balls we have left are Ed and Yvette? There is no reason at all why Britain cannot trade successfully, on her own, with the rest of the world. But the pro EU camp like to paint a picture that shows the world, as far as trade goes, consisting only of the EU. Without the burden of the EU we can expand our trade with the whole world and keep our trade with our former EU "partners".

What % of GDP were the coal mines? or the UK car industry?, ship building? steel works? whatever they were, they certainly aren't now so I wouldn't worry too much Kije, Britain will bounce back (if the scare mongering is even true of course; which we can only speculate at the moment!!)

Kije, I'm not sure where you get your 10% from, but I have found a maximum of 7.7% quoted (and that includes ALL aspects of the financial services sector including stuff that wouldn't be prone to relocation such as pension funds, high street banking

• Monetary intermediation Central bank; other banks; 65.1 57% (4.4%) (weight in GDP)
  •  
  • Other financial Finance leasing; non-bank 65.2 9% (0.7%) (weight in GDP)
  •  
  • Insurance companies Life assurance; general 66.01, 66.03 13% (1%) (weight in GDP)
  •  
  • Pension funds Autonomous schemes only. 66.02 5% (0.4%) (weight in GDP)
  •  
  • Activities auxiliary to Administration of financial 67 15% (1.1%) (weight in GDP)
  •  
  • Total financial Combination of the above. 100% (7.7%)

So as you can see from the above (from page 238 of the following Bank of England document) I think you are worrying a little too much.... plus, even without our Empire, the GDP has continued to rise year on year as a whole and we still are the 6th largest economy in the world. So all you people who keep slagging Britain off and think we need the EU more than we need them had better think again; we can manage perfectly well on our own and have done for 100's of years

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/qb110304.pdf

Investment Banking is about profit, and owes nothing to National loyalties or political contructs like the EU. The money will go where it can achieve the biggest return, and at the moment, and for some time to come, the Euro-Zone ain't it.

The figure of 10% came from, the financial corespondent of te Times, who was on question time, after one quick search on the tinternet I found 9.6% Baz.

so some journalist on question time is a more trusted source than the Bank of England then?