Field of dreams?

Topshot

We call this the field of dreams - dream is all we can do because we're never going to move out of this league playing like today. Who's dreaming? The manager for thinking we were going to win this league, and now for thinking we'll make the play-offs. The board for thinking the manager will take us out of this league. The supporters, forever hopeful.

As for me, I've watched better football on Loushers Lane park on a Sunday morning - I think I might travel to Trafford in future to watch less frustrating football!

• Upvote 2

I don't get to watch Town much. Them not being my side of choice but I was there today due to a postponement elsewhere. I was impressed, but not with Warrington. You came up against a Cammell Laird side playing full of confidence and also playing some great football for this level. I've seen Lairds four times this season and seen them lose once, unluckily to a Halifax penalty in the FA Trophy. I think you will just have to accept that they played really well today and Town were never in it. I would be more than a little concerned though at the fact that you couldn't compete. They wanted it more and that's what would bother me. I would also worry at the gate of 152 given it was only £2 to get in. That's what I paid and it's the best £2 I've spent this season. I enjoyed the game and thought the Lairds were very good value.

If they're going to leave with 15 minutes left i'd rather do two things.

1 - Not call them supporters

2 - be glad they don't come again

no room in football to sing when you're winning.

i'll post my thoughts on today shortly and as i'm over critical of just about anything anywhere i'll take my time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

they were leaving because what they saw was amatuer standard there was no desire or passion to win shaun reid has got the tactics wrong playing hoof ball we are a very good side when we pass it about and thats what we need to start doing even in our half at the back alright if we lose it there itll probably result in conceding a goal but atleast we are trying something. And as for the keeper he is awful he couldnt catch a cold and decision making is shocking yes he has a massive kick but thats it i reckon i could do   a better job in goal than him hint hint lol 

You guys need to get real - Warrington have played some of their best football in years and have got to January only losing six league games.

Against Trafford (One of best teams in league) they outplayed them twice on the bounce for more than an hour.

They have had key players missing through injury like Mike Read, Allan Collins and Lee Parle - and lets not forget this team has started from scratch.

A run of decent results could still see them make the play offs as all teams are dropping points -other than Skem, Traffordand New Mills - two play off spots left for grabs.

Curzon lost at Wakefield yesterday - but I bet they are still there or there abouts come the end of the season.

There are basically five or six clubs battling for two play off spots - and Warrington will be one of them if they replicate results in the second half of the season from the first half.

Yesterday was poor but on the whole the team has been much better.

I think people forget that it's only recently that there is a fairly settled team. If this lot had been together at the start of the season, we would have been in the top 3 now. The aforementioned injuries haven't made things any easier. The real teller will be Skem. N distractions before the game, just training. That will tell us how good or bad we are.

I agree the following:

Skem will be a big test

We were poor yesterday.

However we cannot for the puposes of this season afford many more slips. Indeed I would go as far as to say that we really need a run of many wins on the bounce if we are to trouble the play offs. A better indicator of our current league position is points per game ( to take into account some teams having quite a few games in hand). I've worked it out below. Yes form fluctuates and playing many games back to back will wear teams out, but we need to be picking up 1.9 points per game as opposed to currenlty 1.5 per game. Doesnt sound a lot, but if we had done this so far, it would be 3 extra wins plus 1 draw and currently 2nd in the league!

2 Skelmersdale United 16 44 2.75

5 New Mills 16 38 2.375

3 Trafford 19 42 2.210526

1 Mossley 22 48 2.181818

7 Ramsbottom United 19 36 1.894737

4 Clitheroe 23 42 1.826087

9 Cammell Laird 20 35 1.75

6 Farsley FC 24 38 1.583333

10 Curzon Ashton 22 34 1.545455

8 Warrington Town 24 36 1.5

13 Salford City 19 28 1.473684

11 Burscough 22 31 1.409091

14 Ossett Town 19 25 1.315789

12 Lancaster City 24 29 1.208333

15 Bamber Bridge 19 22 1.157895

16 Harrogate Railway Athletic 20 19 0.95

18 Radcliffe Borough 19 17 0.894737

17 Wakefield 22 18 0.818182

19 Prescot Cables 20 14 0.7

20 Ossett Albion 19 12 0.631579

21 Goole AFC 23 12 0.521739

22 Garforth Town 23 7 0.304348

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be brutally honest looking at the responses on here regarding yesterday's game there a very few if not any mentions of Cammell Lairds actually being the better team on the day, I know this isn't the ideal forum to put this on but considering the performance saying that Warrington had an off day is a little insulting to Cammell Lairds.

It's an honest opinion and one which may or may not be agreed by many, but there only looked like one team who looked dangerous and looked like they wanted to play football, 2-0 flattered Warrington and its not very often that could be said, personally I wish Warrington all the best for the season but I think as a supporter or a player you have to be honest in assessing games. I don't think laying blame at people's feet is the answer sometimes it happens in football.

It's true I follow Lairds but this result wasn't down to luck, Cammell Lairds have been playing well this season and have 'upset' teams when actually they have been better than them. I don't think anybody at Lairds will be expecting them to finish in the top 6 but a mid-table finish is more than achievable, it's about time people actually realised that the team of last season is a thing of the past and that actually they can play a bit of football.

I'm going to be brutally honest looking at the responses on here regarding yesterday's game there a very few if not any mentions of Cammell Lairds actually being the better team on the day, I know this isn't the ideal forum to put this on but considering the performance saying that Warrington had an off day is a little insulting to Cammell Lairds. It's an honest opinion and one which may or may not be agreed by many, but there only looked like one team who looked dangerous and looked like they wanted to play football, 2-0 flattered Warrington and its not very often that could be said, personally I wish Warrington all the best for the season but I think as a supporter or a player you have to be honest in assessing games. I don't think laying blame at people's feet is the answer sometimes it happens in football. It's true I follow Lairds but this result wasn't down to luck, Cammell Lairds have been playing well this season and have 'upset' teams when actually they have been better than them. I don't think anybody at Lairds will be expecting them to finish in the top 6 but a mid-table finish is more than achievable, it's about time people actually realised that the team of last season is a thing of the past and that actually they can play a bit of football.

I think you will find what upsets most Warrington Town fans is the wage gap between the two clubs should not warrant such a one sided game.

It has long been known that Lairds run a club on a shoe string while Warrington are one of the best paid teams in the league -and have been for some years now :oops:

I didn't want to mention the difference in wages as agreed that should be a major factor in the type of players clubs at this level can attract for me it's the team spirit and togetherness of Lairds which was evident, after the first goal nearly every player went over to congratulate Bowen and when I looked over in the dugout it was exactly the same, in terms of money there isn't an awful lot but with a big budget comes pressure, but saying that the players in the club house after the game where buoyant, there seems to be a spirit and an work ethic which every player knows how important it is to give 110%. I can't comment on the effort your players give as I don't watch you enough but Lairds of late never stop and all seem to relish playing for the club

I'm going to be brutally honest looking at the responses on here regarding yesterday's game there a very few if not any mentions of Cammell Lairds actually being the better team on the day, I know this isn't the ideal forum to put this on but considering the performance saying that Warrington had an off day is a little insulting to Cammell Lairds. It's an honest opinion and one which may or may not be agreed by many, but there only looked like one team who looked dangerous and looked like they wanted to play football, 2-0 flattered Warrington and its not very often that could be said, personally I wish Warrington all the best for the season but I think as a supporter or a player you have to be honest in assessing games. I don't think laying blame at people's feet is the answer sometimes it happens in football. It's true I follow Lairds but this result wasn't down to luck, Cammell Lairds have been playing well this season and have 'upset' teams when actually they have been better than them. I don't think anybody at Lairds will be expecting them to finish in the top 6 but a mid-table finish is more than achievable, it's about time people actually realised that the team of last season is a thing of the past and that actually they can play a bit of football.

Huyton Blue.

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think anyone is taking away anything from Lairds. It's all about expectation. We were the same after Trafford. Despite the fact that Trafford are a good team that have been together for 3 seasons, we still moaned.

However, all the doubters should remember there is a long way to go, and those with games in hand have a lot of games before the season is over. Those clubs might not be in such a high position then as they are now.

Time will tell.

I didn't want to mention the difference in wages as agreed that should be a major factor in the type of players clubs at this level can attract for me it's the team spirit and togetherness of Lairds which was evident, after the first goal nearly every player went over to congratulate Bowen and when I looked over in the dugout it was exactly the same, in terms of money there isn't an awful lot but with a big budget comes pressure, but saying that the players in the club house after the game where buoyant, there seems to be a spirit and an work ethic which every player knows how important it is to give 110%. I can't comment on the effort your players give as I don't watch you enough but Lairds of late never stop and all seem to relish playing for the club

And that was a point made by their manager afterwards. They play for the club, not for themselves. They seem to have a great work ethic and "team" spirit.  Town will be up there fighting the best., so a bit of patience, eh guys?

To many negatives again from the same people and likewise with others (the same) so seems we have a split view on things, many people forget it takes time to build a side and as Peter T and i think maybe Woody commented recently surely we never expected to be 2nd after starting from a bootcamp scenario. Yesterday was a lacklustre performance against a side on the back of a winning run and with something to prove and build on week on week and maybe we underestimated our opposition in certain places.

Lairds will take points off other teams this season and that includes above us so in effect will assist them and i'll be keeping one eye on their results as they continue to nick points to consolidate the position in the division they deserve.

Insider - You must have links to a board member if you can comment on wage budgets and personally i think you're talking rubbish otherwise shock results, cup runs and unexpected promotions would never take place if everything was decided on wage budgets, i agree they help but i'll go on record and say it did'nt "upset" me because the wage budgets are diffferent. You'll be telling me next that Skem or New Mills operate off £500 p/w, on a separate note if you do have links to a board member or are in fact a board member masking yourself as the attacking inside mole you should be ashamed of yourself commenting on budgets in context to the results. How much money was injured off the field not playing yesterday, have you took that on board or just sounding off as normal and before you fire back with your "everyone knows about Lairds and the ship yard funding" don't bother as we know our stuff.

if the team is to be the same on Saturday as it was against Lairds i'll take a draw now and look to win the following six as they have 18pts written on them.

To many negatives again from the same people and likewise with others (the same) so seems we have a split view on things, many people forget it takes time to build a side and as Peter T and i think maybe Woody commented recently surely we never expected to be 2nd after starting from a bootcamp scenario. Yesterday was a lacklustre performance against a side on the back of a winning run and with something to prove and build on week on week and maybe we underestimated our opposition in certain places.

Lairds will take points off other teams this season and that includes above us so in effect will assist them and i'll be keeping one eye on their results as they continue to nick points to consolidate the position in the division they deserve.

Insider - You must have links to a board member if you can comment on wage budgets and personally i think you're talking rubbish otherwise shock results, cup runs and unexpected promotions would never take place if everything was decided on wage budgets, i agree they help but i'll go on record and say it did'nt "upset" me because the wage budgets are diffferent. You'll be telling me next that Skem or New Mills operate off £500 p/w, on a separate note if you do have links to a board member or are in fact a board member masking yourself as the attacking inside mole you should be ashamed of yourself commenting on budgets in context to the results. How much money was injured off the field not playing yesterday, have you took that on board or just sounding off as normal and before you fire back with your "everyone knows about Lairds and the ship yard funding" don't bother as we know our stuff.

if the team is to be the same on Saturday as it was against Lairds i'll take a draw now and look to win the following six as they have 18pts written on them.

Who mentioned budgets? I haven't got a clue how much players are being paid - but it has been known for a long time that Lairds have little or nowt and are punching above their weight.

If you stand on terraces and listen to what is being said it is easy to work out where the money is.

Keep your shirt on - and if you know so much you must have links with board members - in fact with about a dozen board members and half a dozen backroom staff they almost out number the fans on the terrace!

I dont know why people think I am being so negative - I think Warrington Town is a club making good progression - but with supporters who easily get wound up and appear to be very fickle - especially the ones who walked out with 15 minutes to go!

Re football, rather than wading into the other arguments that are going on here, Lairds outplayed us and we offered nothing until Ash Ruane came on and injected a bit of pace. Phil Doran is the only other who can come out of that with any credit. Lairds played better football, played the conditions better, and wanted it much much more than we did. We lost because we were outplayed and bought nothing to the table in response. End of. Here's hoping for better on Saturday.

It's interesting to see how different opinions can get us on our 'soapboxes' and try and right all the wrongs, from a neutral point of view looking at the 2 teams I wasn't worried more apprehensive, Warrington's squad has a lot of experience, but judging on the responses on here people are saying the side isn't settled or they are just bedding in. Lairds don't really make many signings and in the past teams have just came in and took their better players except for this season where the playing squad unlike last season has stuck together, they have so far exceeded their expectations and speaking to Tony he has said if the season finished now he would be 'over the moon', our biggest strength has been the 'togetherness' but that only comes from having a settled side, it's easy today budgets but I don't think that there is a Lairds player who would over stretch the budget at any other club in this division. Warrington is a great club and some people would enjoy reading the negative comments maybe they should have been in the bar like myself after the game and take a look at how Lairds players, officials and supporters stuck together, it might actually have a positive effect.

Even by our standards, this is a big overreaction to just a couple of loses.

Cammell Lairds were the better team on Saturday, at the end of the day you can't argue about that. 

However, just like Joey's squad near the end of his time here, this squad is looking good and I think that we will be good enough to challenge for the top 3 places next season when this squad has gelled together more. Obviously a couple of new signings are needed here and there to help that happen, but the potential is definitely there for Shaun and his team to do well now. 

Obviously, gelling requires a more settled squad, but I can see the amount of players coming/going from us decreasing now that Shaun seems to have an idea of what he needs to do with the team.

We are still in the running for the play-offs, but realistically Clitheroe are the only team in the play-off places that I can see dropping out of the top 5 at this stage, and even if they do drop out, we are against teams like Curzon, Farsley and Ramsbottom, so it is very hard for us to put in a decent challenge from here.

If we had played the postponed games against Curzon and New Mills, it could be entirely different at this point, but that's something we could do nothing about.

• Upvote 1

Cammell Lairds were the better team on Saturday, at the end of the day you can't argue about that. 

However, just like Joey's squad near the end of his time here, this squad is looking good and I think that we will be good enough to challenge for the top 3 places next season when this squad has gelled together more. Obviously a couple of new signings are needed here and there to help that happen, but the potential is definitely there for Shaun and his team to do well now. 

Obviously, gelling requires a more settled squad, but I can see the amount of players coming/going from us decreasing now that Shaun seems to have an idea of what he needs to do with the team.

We are still in the running for the play-offs, but realistically Clitheroe are the only team in the play-off places that I can see dropping out of the top 5 at this stage, and even if they do drop out, we are against teams like Curzon, Farsley and Ramsbottom, so it is very hard for us to put in a decent challenge from here.

If we had played the postponed games against Curzon and New Mills, it could be entirely different at this point, but that's something we could do nothing about.

An excellent summary of the situation Wire Warrior.

WOW!!.

I can't believe you posted that. Well done. :P  Good positive post. I hope Insider is paying attention.

WOW!!.

I can't believe you posted that. Well done. :P  Good positive post. I hope Insider is paying attention.

Constructive criticism never killed any one.

Like I keeping saying I am not being negative towards Warrington Town - but after all the hard work to improve the club which appears to have been going on in recent years when you look at the league table the status quo has been maintained for nearly four years now. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Havent heard anything on here / FB about Lancaster away. How did the new guys settle in / play. I remember seeing Newby play for liverpool. Hasnt exactlty set the world on fire since though.

If it helps to be positive, the points per game has dropped to 1.42 in recent weeks (from 1.5), but the ppg for the team in 5th has also dropped (1.82 from 1.9). That said, 3 points on saturday will help. .

Probably frustration Adrian. Too many bad passes, full back errors, and the ball seemed to be in the air a lot. We need to get the passing game back and know what colour we are wearing. Considering the number of new players and Reidy going off injured again, it wasn't a bad game, but when expectations are high.............!!! Hopefully Parle will be back on Saturday. He looked good before the injury.

• Upvote 1