1856 - Newspaper reports.

algy

Fabulous! I love these little snippets, especially the optimism of the vinegar cure!

I've got a small clipping about one of my ancestors being fined £1 for falling asleep in his Cart and blocking the Frodsham to Warrington turnpike, thereby preventing a Gentleman in his carriage passing through.

I visited Warrington last week and spent a considerable amount of time in the library. I've got a fabulous story from the Warrington Guardian about the Police busting a gambling den which was run by one of my (I think) distant relatives. Once I've scanned it I'll post it here.

Fabulous! I love these little snippets, especially the optimism of the vinegar cure!

I've got a small clipping about one of my ancestors being fined £1 for falling asleep in his Cart and blocking the Frodsham to Warrington turnpike, thereby preventing a Gentleman in his carriage passing through.

I visited Warrington last week and spent a considerable amount of time in the library. I've got a fabulous story from the Warrington Guardian about the Police busting a gambling den which was run by one of my (I think) distant relatives. Once I've scanned it I'll post it here.

Look forward to seeing that one, I'm afraid my 'well is running dry' I may have to pay the library a visit.

I have a couple of hundred from 1700 to 1900 about Cullercoats, Whitley Bay and Tynemouth up in Northumberland, I had some relatives up there , but I somehow don't think they would create much interest in Warrington though. :unsure:

They had such lovely phrases in years gone by. Verdict of Died by the visitation of God. Conjures up images of the big man in white robes entering the room. How's you doing my son? Come here let me have a look at you. Yeah, you look about ready. You will die now, ok lad? See you up there later.