Speed Awareness Courses ?

Dizzy

Silverlady

Many years ago I used to work for a couriers, they gave you lots of drops and not enough time to do them, speeding was the only way, if you got to many points just higher another driver. I don't know if you have ever used UPS, or any of the other companies, they go out with over 80 deliveries a day some of them timed deliveries and get penalised if they don't deliver. Is a banned delivery driver going to use public transport. Companies just get rid of drivers with large amounts of points, plenty more fish without jobs. They use them and abuse them and then take on more when they have points. I also used to work for an engineering repair company, I was sent out to do onside repairs, I used to have to drive 100s of miles a day between jobs, if I wanted to go home I had no choice but to speed between jobs. Can I take it you have never had a job on the road.

That is appauling Lt K and if companies are indeed doing that and treating their drivers in such a way that they feel they have to break the law simply to keep their jobs and timescales then the drivers should get together and name and shame their employers (anonymously of course) and the companies should be heavily fined or even written off and closed down. :evil:

THEY ARE PUTTING PEOPLES LIVES AT RISK, NOT ONLY THEIR OWN DRIVERES BUT EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROADS/STREETS/PAVEMENTS.. surely no parcel or delivery is that important !!!!!!!!!

Your revelations shocked me so much I forgot about any punctuation... sorry :oops:

That’s no surprise to me in fact in many cases where driving forms the greater part of your work you do need to get a move on because as the old saying goes time is money. We all know the arguments about speed and safety being two different issues and a good professional driver will take both into account while balancing the cost saving of time saving against the potential threat of penalties.

My job often entails long journeys right across the UK an I’ll admit that while on the motorways, I’ll very often drive nearer 80mph that the 70 limit. My life time total of speeding fines on motorways has been just £60 which equates to a tiny fraction of the cost savings in time so to me it makes sense.

BTW I watched a police traffic program last night which showed the cops chasing after a group of young lads in a Subaru down a dual carriageway. Tailgating the car in front at nearly 100mph, they eventually did and undertake which got them a £40 fine for the undertake plus exactly the same fine and points for the speeding that I got for doing 6mph over the limit on Wilderspool Causeway.

Bill :)

Isn't it the case, that our road infrastructure is over-loaded, thus it regularly gets choked up with queues, slowing down transportation generally, which presumably has an adverse effect on Companies and ultimately our economy? This isn't something particular to the UK, but a global phenomena. The delays caused by traffic jams will naturally cause delivery drivers to speed up on those sections where traffic is lighter.

It is very easy to blame courier drivers/firms for speeding, but how many of us, on receiving a delivery half-an-hour later than expected, would say, "Oh, that's alright - you were only keeping to the speed limits"?

I, too, have been there. When a delivery has been paid for as "By 09.00", it is virtually impossible, due to commuter traffic, to do more than one without speeding - I have had twelve in one day before now. So glad I gave it up years ago!