Freedom?

observer

Don't think you realise how absurd your suggestion is Cleo: you can bring a Negro from Africa, send him to Scotland and dress him in a kilt; and even if he can play the bag-pipes, loves haggis and deep fried mars bars; he'll never be a Scotsman, and certainly not a Celt. :roll:

Observer, I don't think you realise how absurd you are making yourself. You either did not read my post properly or you read it and being deliberately obtuse for the sake of arguing like a young child. Really, observer, I don't have much time for you. But one thing I will say to you is -

GO AND DRINK THE NILE!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then,

Is someone from Ireland the same race as someone from England?

Obviously not (Irish are Celtic, English are not) they are a different race from the english, as are the scots and the welsh. Each country having their own cultural history and native language, differenet from that of the english.

How petty this argument is: We are all human - where we are from should enhance our way of life, not deter from it. I am happy to be called American but I am from English, Irish and German descent.

Many of my friends are of Japanese, Kenyan, Indonesian, etc... descent. I relish this difference, I learn from this difference but most of all I see and hear we are all so very similar in our lives.

I must be Obs, as I disagree with Peter, on alot of things, I am not sure I agree with Peter being sensible either, I would say out of touch. It does make my point though. What is common sense to some people is poppy cock to others :wink:

It depends on your age group, and whether you care about the country, and it's history or just embrace any new-fangled idea for no other reason than it is new and different.

And you do argue for the sake of it, as you never support what you are saying with experience.

Trouble is Peter I do care about the country, but I am not living in the past, so it does not encumber me when I think about the future of it. We are not the power you think we still are.

We are a small country, punching well above are weight on the World stage. I also find it farcical that you acuse people who don't think like you of not caring about the country. It is people with your stone age attitude about the UK that is holding it back. The Empire is gone get over it. :wink:

We are a small country, punching well above are weight on the World stage.

Really? a quick wiki search tells us that the UK is:

•  
  • The sixth largest economy in the world
  • The third largest economy in Europe
  • That London is the world's largest financial centre (alongside New York)
  • London has the largest GDP of any city in Europe
  • The UK has the 2nd (or 3rd depending on how you measure) largest national aerospace industry
  • The UK has the third-highest share of global pharmaceutical R&D expenditures (after the United States and Japan)
  • In 2008, the UK was the sixth-largest manufacturer in the world measured by value of output
  • The UK is home to GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca, respectively the world's third- and seventh-largest pharmaceutical companies.
  • As of 2010 the UK has around 3.1 billion barrels of proven crude oil reserves, the largest of any EU member state
  • In 2009 the UK was the 13th largest producer of natural gas in the world and the largest producer in the EU

So don't do your country such an injustice Kije.... sadly we may not be the world leading and dominating power we once were, but we certainly ain't no Belgium! and we certainly can see why the Euro lot want to keep us on board and contributing to their growing band of dependants

Trouble is Peter I do care about the country, but I am not living in the past, so it does not encumber me when I think about the future of it. We are not the power you think we still are.

We are a small country, punching well above are weight on the World stage. I also find it farcical that you acuse people who don't think like you of not caring about the country. It is people with your stone age attitude about the UK that is holding it back. The Empire is gone get over it. :wink:

Wrong again.

IF you have ever understood "any" of my posts over the years, you should have realised that I have said on several occasions, that imo we are more like a 4th world country. We are sinking fast because imo again, we are being dictated to by Germany and France as to how we live and run our lives. There is NO leadership, all the main three Parties are out for themselves first and the country and its people last.

As for living in the past, get over yourself and pull your neck in. The thing that I value from the past, is standards and efficiency, which a lot of people don't seem to care about. There are no rules anymore and it has become a free for all.

If that is what you want, a country where anarchy rules, so be it. But it is not what I want for my family and future generations.

The problem is, we don't reinforce the positives ( as posted by Baz) and reduce the negatives, which, imo are largely attitudenal and cultural. We've got an education system that isn't producing the scientists, engineers etc that our manufacturers need to stay ahead of the global competitition; and even those we do produce, are lured away by the offer of becoming a "master of the universe" in the City of London's Canary Wharf. Our greatest asset, our youth, are languishing on the dole, rather than being trained in the skills that industry requires; and that's assuming that some still retain some form of work ethic and arn't obsessed with the idea of a shortcut to riches through x-factor or the lottery. Meanwhile, we have Governments that think more of spending £illions on foreign aid or foreign wars; preserving the myth of our status in the world, rather than striving to make it a reality. Global economic competition is a form of warfare, despite the pretence of the EU, with each and every Country fighting, ultimately to benefit themselves and improve the wellbeing of their citizens; and imo we should be employing the same Churchillian attitude to winning it, as was employed in WW2. :(