Fuel poverty?

observer

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracking has been banned in Arkansas,

http://cleantechnica.com/2011/11/04/natural-gas-fracking-good-at-creating-earthquakes/

The differance between your proof Asp and mine, is mine comes from people who are living with the results, and yours comes from the companies exploiting the gas,

The COOGC is not a company exploiting anything. It's a State body. Doh! :roll: :roll: :roll:

One mans minor earth tremor is another mans earthquake and you can argue that point till the cows come home but as far as I’m concerned, the long term needs of the country far outweigh such minor issues.

Everything we’ve ever come up with has had some form of down side but that’s life and we just have to deal with the problems as they arise. We have to do the best we can with the technology available to us at the time but to sit and pontificate I don’t think is an option.

Bill :)

I am against fracking as it cracks the rocks, and in so doing weakens the ground, it also pollutes ground water and also releases other chemicals that were trapped in the rock besides the ones we need.

So on that basis, I’d guess you’d be anti coal mining and anti oil extraction as well? Tell me about the alternative sources of power on offer and I’m sure I can probably come up with just as many excuses for why we shouldn’t use them.

Remember the old saying you can’t make cakes without breaking a few eggs! :wink:

Coal mining has come along way Bill, I am against the way the Chinese mine coal, but not the way the Americans and we do it, we do it with care, The way the Chinese do it is an environmental disaster. Fracking does not give you any control, do you know what the effect of cracking the bed rock will be, We have mined though it , bored though it, but as yet we have not shattered it into thousands of pieces. I think we need alot more information. Poisoning water could destroy the environment for years to come, no crops, and no one living on it.

I think if we lived on the San Andreas Fault and this was going on, then I think I’d be concerned but as it is now, fracking at these sort of depths in a geologically stable area doesn’t worry me. Then again I’m no geologist or expert in this field or is it in my back yard nonetheless I maintain that we cant just sit back and ignore 100 years worth of natural gas on our doorstep.

Btw shattering rock into thousands of pieces as you put it is what we did in the mines with explosives. Fracking on the other hand is simply opening up existing cracks in the rocks to let gas escape.

Sorry a girlie question coming now as I don't know anything about fracking and had never heard of it until this topic. I don't know that much about geology either... but how far down does fracking occur in relation to the depth of the earths 'crust' :unsure:

Ok so I could have googled or posted something that sounded like I 'knew' so as not to sound so thick but as you all seem to know about it I reconed I'd just ask you all instead. :D

I don't think so Peter as I can't remember the earth moving much around here although there was an instance at work once where the lifts shook but I thought it was the cable until I got to the office and saw the shocked looks on people's faces. :P

Edit.... having just realised how that could be read I'd just like to add that there had been an earthquake :blink: