Test Drugs on British PETS Says EU

Dizzy

I don't see stray pets actually being rounded up and used for this. If a drug company wants to test a new drug on animals then they're going to need to know the full medical histories of all their test subjects in order to avoid confusing results caused by an animal's underlying medical conditions.

That's not going to be possible with strays, so they'll continue sourcing known healthy animals specifically bred for the labs.

Good point Inky.

But that sort of worries me in another way. If the EU are already testing in this way then how do we know their findings are correct.

It's not only about strays though, there are worries that there will be an increase in non-approved puppy and cat farms as they would start breeding purely for the sale to the testing companies. At present that is not allowed for both animal welfare and also health reasons.

I do sometimes wish the EU would just sod off and I wonder if our government will have the backbone to refuse their latest demand. We have until 2013 to sign up I believe.... and what if we don't :roll:

Yes but it also says..........

"However, while the Home Office has indicated it wants to maintain its current restrictions including a ban on the use of strays, it has not explicitly ruled out adopting weaker European standards.

It also insists that parts of the directive will actually improve British standards. But animal welfare groups claim the Government?s recent U-turn on a ban on wild animals in circuses means it cannot be trusted."

:wink:

The EU also had a rule about not recycling dead cows, back into the food chain ie not feeding dead cows to cows. one rule we ignored. A rule the UK new best and ignored and cost people their lives and the farmers millions. :wink:

The EU does not get everything right but neither doe the UK.

Dizzy it has not explicitly ruled them out, which you could turn round and say it has not explicitly ruled them in either. When reading articles you need to know where they come from, This one comes from an anti European paper, its another scare story like the one about our Bananas were not curved enough to meet EU standards. :wink:

Dizzy it has not explicitly ruled them out, which you could turn round and say it has not explicitly ruled them in either. When reading articles you need to know where they come from, This one comes from an anti European paper, its another scare story like the one about our Bananas were not curved enough to meet EU standards. :wink:

Fair point (perhaps) LT :wink: I dont read that many papers to determine which way they bend when it comes to their reporting. :lol:

They should not test anything on animals. they should test them on some of the scroats in prison.

Good idea but obviously not one that they could do because of HR etc. If prisoners can claim compo for not having a comb or tv just think what their lawyers would claim for the odd 'injection' or 'chemical' dropped in their eyes :?

Personally speaking I think that anyone who has intentionally murdered, injured or inflicted 'acts' upon others (especially on kids) SHOULD be used for testing pursposes :evil: