25th June 1876?

observer

On June 25, 1876, George Armstrong Custer and the 265 men under his command lost their lives in the Battle of Little Big Horn, often referred to as Custer's Last Stand.

Watched Custer of the West the other weekend which I first saw as a child on the big screen in about 1970.

Tended to glorify Custer's last stand which most historians reckon were the actions of a madman!

Having said that I have always been fascinated with the 7th Calvary, the Battle of Little Big Horn e.t.c. - I used to love playing Cowboys and Indians and still have my toy soldiers! :oops:

Basically a nutter, of the head down and charge variety Mary! :wink: He committed two glaring failiures in terms of military tactics: closing with the enemy rather than the planned link up with Gen Terry and other forces: and dividing his own force infront of the enemy; thus allowing his piecemeal defeat. :roll: He was earlier noted for one particular tactic, which saved him from being wiped out' which was to shield his men with captured squaws, so the enemy wouldn't attack him. :shock: Sadly his defeat galvanised civilised opinion into supporting a campaign that almost wiped out the American Indian, ending in tragedies like Wounded Knee. :cry:

I believe Robert Shaw played Custer in the movie cited above. He wore buckskin and affected a non-british accent, of course.

The highlight of the film for me was not the familiar story, but the special log ride when a lumberjack soldier gets chased by Indians and rides the water contraption -- must have been Cinerama or something.

I believe Robert Shaw played Custer in the movie cited above. He wore buckskin and affected a non-british accent, of course.

The highlight of the film for me was not the familiar story, but the special log ride when a lumberjack soldier gets chased by Indians and rides the water contraption -- must have been Cinerama or something.

Was a stunning piece of camera work but seeing it the other week was like seeing it for the first time.

The only scenes I can remember from my childhood was Custer's Indian Scout getting an arrow through his neck and Custer putting his arms in the air and screaming as the Indians Finished him off, even though Sitting Bull, apparently would have spared his life!

Was a very good scene!

Sitting Bull, was basically a shamen, who had united the Sioux and Cheyenne into fighting to protect the black hills from the white man. :? His vision of the battle, said that the indians should not strip the enemy dead after the battle or it would bring bad luck - they did, and they've had bad luck ever since! :shock::wink: