Immigration?

observer

• 2 weeks later...
Are you saying observer that, Britain is not cheap enough to compete :?:

Well I would say that the standard of living we ALL enjoy in this country takes a little more paying for than someone living in a farm in Poland with two chickens and a tractor. Wouldn't you?

Are you saying Baz that you would force people in Britain to buy British to protect British jobs :?:

I would advise people to yes. However the biggest problem is.... what do we actually make in Britain anymore that is worth buying?

We have given or sold all the rights away for most of our inventions over the years (anyone remember the Honda 250N Superdream?) all of our ships are made abroad (Even the government doesn't give British ship oredrs to British companies - probably because they aren't allowed to because of some European directive somewhere)

So may force is to strong a word but If I am working and paying taxes while all of the people who make stuff are being forced out of work so I can get cheaper stuff, the additional tax take the government need to make up the dole money shortfall will eventually outway any cost advantage. plus the unemployed ex-manufacturer may come and rob my house because he has no money....

hard one really!

I am! :wink: The primary aim of Maggie was to defeat organised labour in this Country, by de-industrialisation and privatisation, using North Sea Oil Revenues to fund the consequent unemployment (which then developed into incapacity benefit); the reliance on cheap imports was a consequence of this loss of domestic capacity and not it's original intent. :roll: The importation of "cheap" goods, produced by "cheap" labour; and now the importation of "cheap labour" itself; is merely the modus operandi of exploitative, profiteering capitalism. :wink:

Let me help you out :wink: You would restrict the right of the British people to choose what goods to buy and how much they have to pay for them :!::wink:

Are saying now Maggie was wrong to shut the coal mines and rely on cheap imports :?::wink:

Please don't try to patronise me Lt. Maggie was wrong to shut the coal mines; however the coalminers brought a lot of the consequences on themselves by electing highly paid union leaders like Scargill to constantly try and win an unwinable battle.

In the ideal world we would still build ships and we would still have coalmines.... we don't and so maybe now we should try and PROTECT what little industry we have left before Labour completely destroy it all.

Baz sorry I was not trying to patronize you although re-reading my post it does come across like that-Sorry

:wink:

We are not that far apart, I agree some industries should be completely in British hands such as defense and energy production and we should be able to feed are-selves. but we should be able to choose on everything else.

Reading these posts, particularly about choice, what happens to the people/workers whose product are the losers in the choice game, whether they be British or foreign, - I bought a Fiat Punto car I did,?t think about the British car workers (those that are left) I made my choice on what suited my pocket and what I wanted out of a car; same with my microwave I bought a Panasonic which my son told me was Japanese

It is all very well talking about buying the best quality, but what happens across the EU/world wide market to the workers whose product doesn?t fit the bill? They can I suppose re=train for something else, always supposing there is something else, with the advent of automation fewer and fewer jobs, and, the last time I noticed, the human race was being replenished at more or less the same rate as always ? what are these new entrants going to do when they grow up?

There is a conflict in capitalism at the end of the day; in order to consume products, the consumer has to have money, which (other than crime) results from having a job or being on the dole. :shock: This symbiotic circle seems to require oiling with credit too, hence our current predicament. :roll::wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I find it odd that non of you have asked why the Office of National Statistics released this information early :?: This information was not due for release, Was someone in that office deliberately trying to embarrass government :?:

When you no the whole story it changes :wink:

What's "early" got to do with anything? :? IF the stats were available, they should be released asap. not at some moment when they can be buried by other news. :twisted: The question is: are they factual or not - and I see no reason for the ONS to fabricate figures. :roll::wink: