Wasting food

Lucy

I remember many years ago when i was driving for a well known high st company & i was delivering clothing to the Manchester store. The chilled food delivery arrived &, because the temperature gauge was a fraction outside the company's limits, the full 40 foot trailer load  went in the skips.

I must say though, the supermarkets  near us are especially busy when the late in the day reductions are on offer.

What a terrible waste Davey but I guess if they had have sold the food (not knowing how long it had been below temerature for) and people had got food poisoining they, and the delivery company, could have been in a whole lot of trouble.

As for your mince pies in the wardrobe Bill... well now that is a little odd :lol:   My other half would have eaten them though as he seems to have a thing at the moment about proving that you can eat things well past the eat by dates.  I'm not stopping him and his experiment  :wink:

Was they Mr Kiplings Bill------and another tip--this talk about beef being hung for 21--25 days it is a load of nonsense it would be black as the ace of spades.

At one time there was a shelf in our local Tesco sell meat with just a few days shelf life --the odd time you could get a bargain but it had to be eaten that day. :cry:

Interesting piece on Countryfile tonight:  the "pig idea" campaign is argueing for our "waste" food to be used as pig swill; where it can be converted into bacon and fertilizer.  Opposition centres on the use of waste meat in swill, which was suspected to have caused the CJD epidemic and is now illegal. However, some foods can be legally used in swill, such as biscuits and fruit - so why don't we start collecting it?  Yet another bin for food waste (minus the wrapping of course), could be centrally processed into "safe" pig swill.

Yeah, you'd think there should be some way of avoiding all that waste when it could be put to good use, but there can be scary consequences with the less, er, scrupulous feed manufacturers.

At this end, it means it's illegal for us to feed our chickens with kitchen scraps lest the bits of veg and stuff becomes cross contaminated with rancid meat products.

We completely ignore this because:

i) we're careful about kitchen hygiene - the usual, chopping boards, knives and stuff

and

ii) we don't give kitchen room to any meat products that might be a bit dodgy

Having said that, I'd love to try Cheerio flavoured bacon.

Edit

Meant to put this in:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2013/dec/18/feeding-kitchen-scraps-chickens

I can't see why it matters if people only keep chickens as pets and don't breed the with other peoples pet chickens.

If it's to stop the possible transmission of avian flu virus etc from kitchen meats to live pet animals  (which apparently isn't always killed by cooking) then should we be eating the said 'meat' in the first place ?

Glad I have a dog :)

Perhaps people can't feed them scraps from the kitchen because;-

people wouldn't need to buy chicken meal and the makers/ suppliers would lose profit.

or, if people got to taste genuine hand reared, free range chicken eggs or meat they would never want bought again and the supermarkets would lose profit.

or, if people fed them scraps of food they eat themselves and then saw the effect of irradiated, pesticide and preservative laden food on them they would stop buying any food at all and the food industry would have to up their standards - cutting profit - or go out of business altogether! :)

• Upvote 1