cooking

Stallard12

Thankfully, a wet day today, so I had to amuse myself.   Maybe not the first choice for most people, but I headed for the kitchen and did a pinch of this, a dash of that.  Which brought me to this question:  Is there any better smell in the world than frying onions?  Got to be whimsical sometime Obs.

Oooh now the smell of fried (or other cooked) onions always reminds me of going to the fair after walking day when I was a kiddie (and a bit older too :wink: )

It also reminds me of my mums home cooking when we were growing up which is probably why I still like the smell so much today.  It's a hard one to beat that's for sure 

Like Harry would say very 'happy days' :)

Another smell I can't resist is freshly cooked donuts. 

Llandudno Pier gets me every time we go and I have to buy some although for me the smell is much better than the stodgy and sugary taste of the actual donuts.  I've never managed to eat more than one but my other two can so they never go to waste :wink:  

I956 when most of us had only seen doughnuts in the movies, there was a small stand on the 'front' at Rhyl with a 3' sq pan of hot fat making doughnuts.  The smell was unbelievable and it travelled the whole parade.  I think that they charged like a Pound each !!!

No gourmet today.  1" thick hamburger patty cooked on the grill.   A few french fries lining the bottom of a 'boat' dish covered with the patty.  An onion gravy made in a skillet with half a large onion sliced into half rings, splash of vegatable oil, Worcester sauce, a little water, boullion, garlic paste plus almost every spice in the cabinet and kosher salt.  Salt most important ingredient, not enough - bland, too much ughhh.   Everything lavishly covered with the gravy and then a good handful of grated sharp Cheddar loaded on top.  Don't melt the cheese, it loses the sharpness that contrasts the gravy.  Yum Yum.

I skinned 2 kilos of little onions for pickling on Tuesday and left them overnight covered by salt. Wednesday morning the ground floor of the house reeked with the smell of onions. However i do like the smell of frying onions and just like with you, Dizzy, they evoke memories of the fair. I loved that smell wafting on the air as you approached the fair.

I always talk about food when I'm on a diet.   It's a great one though, as much pasta and meat sauce as you want, ham and eggs for breakfast, mash, roast and veg etc.  However, the other part is that you have to spend three hours in the gym and run a marathon every day.  But I ignore a little of that, in fact I ignore a lot of that, actually I ignore it all.

Not yet Obs, one can only hope, culinarywise of course.   I don't think they ever will be Obs, if the Feds don't put their foot down, eventuallyTexas will - remember the Alamo?    Pray for California though.   I believe that I can peacefully and pleasantly see out my days, before world insanity invades my 'Gods little acre'.