Brian McDermott

safeway60

I read a full page puff in the Guardian yesterday about Brian McDermott the Leeds coach making him out to be some sort of cult hero figure because of Leeds success in recent years in the end of season play off competition. To my mind he's very much a villain of the piece in the present day game.Some people have short memories...Before he became this hero figure he was sacked by the Broncos because of his incompetence and seeming indifference and immediately before his first success in the play off Leeds fans were calling for his head on a platter. Then came an injury crisis at Leeds which meant that quite a few of their quality players only started playing at the back end of the season which meant they were fresh for the play off which they duly won...It has now been accepted that the way to win this competition is to *peak* at the back end of the season which means the whole season is condensed in the few weeks in the Autumn which means the rest of the season is devalued and is the main reason that after my season ticket runs out, if I use it at all, I'll be packing it in. McDermott is a hero by accident and default.