The Andrews Sisters

asperity

Don't make em' like that any more Asp!.

andrew-600-1359638479_zpse7343612.jpg

Maxene Andrews, Patty Andrews, and LaVerne Andrews of The Andrews Sisters.

Patty Andrews, the last surviving member of the influential Andrews Sisters vocal trio, died yesterday (Jan. 30th 2013) at home in Los Angeles, 'The Associated Press' reports. She was 94.

Andrews and her siblings LaVerne and Maxene sold more than 80 million records during a career that stretched from the 1920s to the late 1960s. They're perhaps best known for entertaining Allied troops and selling war bonds and boosting morale on the homefront during World War II – along with their 1941 hit "The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," which the Recording Industry of America ranked at Number Six on a list of 25 "Songs of the Century." 

The Andrews Sisters split in 1951 when Patty joined a different group and sued LaVerne over their parents' estate, but the trio reunited in 1956 and continued recording and touring until LaVerne, the eldest sister, died of cancer in 1967. Maxene died in 1995.

Sad to hear they are gone, they were something else, in 1974 I worked on a restoration project of their films they did for the war effort, I wish I could have kept a copy of those films, but sadly there were two counts against me, the standard then was 1" video tape which was out of my range price wise, and the other was the owner was a fanatic and watched me like a hawk, then left with his films and the tape, and never heard from him again, but the cheque didn't bounce.