Burtonwood Air Base - old video footage

Dizzy

living in the bewsey area it was a shortish walk from my grans house to what used to be the main gate to the  quarters area of the base.

we used to go every Sunday in the summer to get fresh veg from Jone's farm which was to the left of bewsey old hall the old airbase entrance being on the right of the hall.

as  a nipper i spent many a happy school holiday wandering round the abandoned buildings which were little more than a piles of rubble in a water logged basements.

with a jar and a net it was a great source of fish, frogs and newts.

later in the year we used to go collecting conkers for the annual competitions around the area amongst the various tribes of kids.

i do remember the vulcans being at the base for a short while, when they were firing them up you could hear them for miles and the cups would rattle on the shelves at my grans.

one of the fun memories was in the mid seventies when i attended a scout jamboree alongside the runway, we had to pass through the still american patrolled main gates to get there. i remember it well as i had just bought my first proper motorbike and had to nip out to get some stuff that had been left behind, tent pegs of all things, getting back in was a nightmare as i had to convince the guard at the gate that i was with the scouts and not some russian spy.

when i look back at some of the things we got up to around there i am surprised i have lived this long....🤦‍♂️