Food storage?

observer

Tend to find that if I have meat that needs to be stored for a short while then putting it in a sandwich bag and ensuring most of the air is squeezed out will give it a slightly longer shelf life. Most meat products are packed in plastic containers with a nitrogen atmosphere inside to keep them fresh and germ free (i think they are anyway but i could be wrong)

With veg I think it depends on the particular vegetable as some like sprouts will benefit from no packaging whereas potatoes seem to be fine stored in bags. One way of storing potatoes is in a cardboard box that seems to make them stay fresher for longer. If they have been in a long time I have noticed that they start to grow shoots, If you have a convenient place and a grow bag you can use them to grow your own spuds.(cheaper than buying seed potatoes.) :wink:

Tend to find that if I have meat that needs to be stored for a short while then putting it in a sandwich bag and ensuring most of the air is squeezed out will give it a slightly longer shelf life. Most meat products are packed in plastic containers with a nitrogen atmosphere inside to keep them fresh and germ free (i think they are anyway but i could be wrong)

With veg I think it depends on the particular vegetable as some like sprouts will benefit from no packaging whereas potatoes seem to be fine stored in bags. One way of storing potatoes is in a cardboard box that seems to make them stay fresher for longer. If they have been in a long time I have noticed that they start to grow shoots, If you have a convenient place and a grow bag you can use them to grow your own spuds.(cheaper than buying seed potatoes.) :wink:

But don't forget you can cut a potato into several peices, as long as each peice has it's own shoots, before planting and as a result even more potatos and even cheaper. :wink: