Olympic cash cow?

More fool the person who will pay £7 for a pint etc Obs.

Saying that our son often tells us about the cost of drinks (both alchoholic and soft including water) and food at various rugby match locations he goes to so nothing suprises me really.

Re. the Olympics I read today that HMRC are now on the lookout for any more runners trying to sell their Olympic Torches as they 'could' be liable for capital games tax (oops sorry I meant 'gains' but as I had already typed it and it sort of made made me giggle I will leave it ) :oops:

More fool the person who will pay £7 for a pint etc Obs.

Saying that our son often tells us about the cost of drinks (both alchoholic and soft including water) and food at various rugby match locations he goes to so nothing suprises me really.

Re. the Olympics I read today that HMRC are now on the lookout for any more runners trying to sell their Olympic Torches as they 'could' be liable for capital games tax (oops sorry I meant 'gains' but as I had already typed it and it sort of made made me giggle I will leave it ) :oops:

:blink: It was such a honour for them to be invited to participate in the carrying of the olymic flame that they are now eager to cash in and profit by selling the one memento they should be proud to own. Says it all really. :roll:

I agree with you Cleo and if I had carried the torch I certainly wouldn't sell mine (I guess it might have to have been locked away out of signt to stop it being pinched in Warrington :wink: ).

However, I believe some people have decided to sell them to raise money for charities... and they are not excempt from the clutches of the HMRC leeches either.

Going back to topic though, all businesses will try to profit from the Olympic games Obs whether they are hotels, pubs or 'whatever'.

They all know gullible people are more than willing to pay the inflated prices for what they class as a 'once in a lifetime experience' so who can blame them from trying to make some extra money out of it especially in the current economic climate.

Same goes for all the other retailers and supermarkets who say 'Support YOUR team buy this'... REALLY ?? That's not supporting anyone other than the manufacturer and whether my margarine, crisp, washing up liquid or anything else 'flies the flag' or not makes no difference at all does it.

Me... well I obviously I wont be paying over inflated prices or buying anything just cos they say they are 'supporting' something but that's just me... a mizzo with a little brain cell :wink::lol: