2. Lymm.

algy

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

Dedicated to Tracey, who always waits patiently, in the hope of finding yet more relatives.

Lymm Railway Station, 1890's.

LymmrailwayStation1890s.jpg

The Millstone Hotel.

LymmtheMillstonepub.jpg

A very early photo of Lymm.

Lymm.jpg

A similar view in the 1890's.

Lymmvillage1890s.jpg

Lymm Village Bridge, Canalside Cottages.

LymmVillageBridgeCanalsideCottages.jpg

Lymm Village seen from "The Rock".

LymmVillageseenfromTheRock.jpg

Electricity arrives in the village.

LymmElectricityarrives.jpg

Statham School.

StathamSchool.jpg

Not so patiently actually! :D Thanks again Algy.

I was hoping to find a photo of the Old Nag's Head which was in my family from the early 1800's to about 1860. I was back in Warrington in February and I went to see the building which is there now but it looks late Victorian to me so I'm assuming it was re-built at some point and my ancestors would have known a different building.

The school at Statham is interesting as lots of my relatives lived in Statham so some Bennett children must have attended over the years. I'm also intrigued by Threlfall's Ales, I've never heard of that brewery.

Not so patiently actually! :D Thanks again Algy.

I was hoping to find a photo of the Old Nag's Head which was in my family from the early 1800's to about 1860. I was back in Warrington in February and I went to see the building which is there now but it looks late Victorian to me so I'm assuming it was re-built at some point and my ancestors would have known a different building.

The school at Statham is interesting as lots of my relatives lived in Statham so some Bennett children must have attended over the years. I'm also intrigued by Threlfall's Ales, I've never heard of that brewery.

This information regarding the Nag's head, Lymm, I copied it from a Lymm Forum from 2004 it was supplied by a member by the name of Joe to another member by the name of Tim.

Should keep you busy for a while Trace.

Nag's Head was at the junction of Eagle Brow, Church Road and Booths Hill Road. The building still stands - better known as the Welfare Centre (or Clinic). Rumour has it that it lost its licence during WW1 for serving outside licensing hours. It was during WW1 that the fairly strict opening hours where introduced to prevent soldiers on leave from being led astray! after what they'd been through in the trenches they deserved to be! The last licensee was Peter S. Nicholas (his name has been visible over the door, underneath "the Nag's Head") There has only been this name as long as I can remember, but very recently another name has become partly visible, a previous landlord ? - looks like Butcher.

Tim, It was the Nag's Head at Booth's Hill. (the original name for the "top half" of Eagle Brow. I have checked the following Trade Directories, Lymm section, found who you're looking for!

White's Directory of Cheshire, 1860 - Nag's Head (old) - Thomas Hall. (obviously an older building than the present one)

Morris's Directory of Cheshire 1874 - Nag's Head - Mrs Margaret Winstanley

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1892 - Nag's Head - Thomas Winstanley (also in Booth's Hill, Alice Winstanley, beer retailer.)

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1906 - Nag's Head - Thomas Winstanley

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1910 - Nag's Head - David McBride

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1914-17 - Nag's Head - Joseph Kitchen

I have also checked in later directories for the 1920's and 1930's and can't find the Nag's Head listed, which "backs up" the WW1 story, Hope this helps, Joe

In the 1841 Census for Lymm parish, Folio 10, page 14, at Wet Gate:-

John WINSTANLEY, (Head), aged 40, Farmer, Born in Cheshire.

Ann WINSTANLEY, 40, B.I.C.

Thomas WINSTANLEY, 25, B.I.C.

George WINSTANLEY, 20, B.I.C.

Peter WINSTANLEY, 15, B.I.C.

Hannah WINSTANLEY, 12, B.I.C.

John WINSTANLEY, 8, B.I.C.

Jane WINSTANLEY, 6, B.I.C.

Mary WINSTANLEY, 4, B.I.C.

Page 15:-

Mark WINSTANLEY, 1, B.I.C.

Mary S. Robinson??, 20, Servant, b.i.c.

Also page 15, Heatly Heath:-

Peter WINSTANLEY, (Head), 45, Ag. Lab., b.i.c.

Ann WINSTANLEY, 35, b.i.c.

Peter WINSTANLEY, 15, b.i.c.

Mary WINSTANLEY, 12, b.i.c.

Joseph WINSTANLEY, 7, b.i.c.

Folio 6, Page 6, Radley Hill:-

Thomas WINSTANLEY, 40, [?lab. (as entry above)], b.i.c

Sarah WINSTANLEY, 35, b.i.c.

James WINSTANLEY, 9, b.i.c.

Ann WINSTANLEY, 4, b.i.c.

Ellen WINSTANLEY, 4, b.i.c.

Peter WINSTANLEY, 1, b.i.c.

Folio 9, Page 12, Rush Green:-

John WINSTANLEY, 25, Carpenter, b.i.c.

Elizabeth WINSTANLEY, 20, b.i.c.

Folio 13, Page 20, Rush Green:-

Ellen WINSTANLEY, 40, Weaver, b.i.c.

Thomas WINSTANLEY, 13, b.i.c.

Folio 4, Page 2, Lymm Booths:-

Household of James CROSBY (Publican):-

Elizabeth WINSTANLEY, 13, Female Servant, b.i.c.

From the Lymm directory, 1850:-

John WINSTANLEY, Farmer, Higher Lane, Lymm.

Lymm Directory, 1865:-

Mrs A. WINSTANLEY, Farmer, Higher Lane, Lymm, Warrington

T. WINSTANLEY, Coal Dealer, Sandy Lane, Lymm, Warrington.

J.WINSTANLEY, Publican, 'Nag's Head', Lymm, Warrington.

There are a couple of Winstanley 1873 Cheshire Landowners but neither has a

Lymm address.

Lymm Directory, 1892:-

Mrs Alice WINSTANLEY, Beer Retailer

John WINSTANLEY, Farmer

Thomas WINSTANLEY, Nag's Head P.H.

1937 Map showing the Welfare Centre building is and that had previously been the Nag's Head.

1937map.jpg

1875 Map showing the Nag's Head.

1857.jpg

Wow Algy, you've worked so hard! What is odd though is that I have an extract from Bagshaw's Directory of Lymm in 1850 which has Enoch Morgan as Publican of the Nag's Head. I think I remember reading somewhere that there were 2 Nag's Heads in Lymm though.

The pub was named in Joseph Blinstone's Will of 1825 and was left to his daughter Sarah (his son went on to run the Mill in Stockton Heath) Sarah married Richard Bennett, he's on the tithe maps in 1837 as owner of the property. Sarah and Richard appear on the 1841 Census as Publicans on Lymm Booths. By 1850 they're private residents and the pub is being run by Enoch who is Sarah's nephew by marriage.

Richard Bennett dies in 1862 and his will requires all his properties to be sold but doesn't actually name or list the properties.

What's interesting is your information also shows James Crosby as a publican in 1841 but his location (Booth's Hill but near Eagle Brow) looks more likely to be the Nag's Head. I wonder if he's managing the pub but Richard owns the building? He does own other properites so maybe he's running one pub on Booth's Hill and getting someone else to manage the Nag's Head?

Luckily I'm going to the library in Warrington this weekend for the Family History thing, hopefully they'll be able to help me solve it.

Wow Algy, you've worked so hard! What is odd though is that I have an extract from Bagshaw's Directory of Lymm in 1850 which has Enoch Morgan as Publican of the Nag's Head. I think I remember reading somewhere that there were 2 Nag's Heads in Lymm though.

The pub was named in Joseph Blinstone's Will of 1825 and was left to his daughter Sarah (his son went on to run the Mill in Stockton Heath) Sarah married Richard Bennett, he's on the tithe maps in 1837 as owner of the property. Sarah and Richard appear on the 1841 Census as Publicans on Lymm Booths. By 1850 they're private residents and the pub is being run by Enoch who is Sarah's nephew by marriage.

Richard Bennett dies in 1862 and his will requires all his properties to be sold but doesn't actually name or list the properties.

What's interesting is your information also shows James Crosby as a publican in 1841 but his location (Booth's Hill but near Eagle Brow) looks more likely to be the Nag's Head. I wonder if he's managing the pub but Richard owns the building? He does own other properites so maybe he's running one pub on Booth's Hill and getting someone else to manage the Nag's Head?

Luckily I'm going to the library in Warrington this weekend for the Family History thing, hopefully they'll be able to help me solve it.

Tracey, there is another Nag,s Head in the Lymm area (Bollington) off the A556 Chester Road (Watling Street) you may be getting confused with the Lymm village one.

I've seen Richard Bennett's property on the tithe map and his is definitely the one at the junction of Booth's Hill and Eagle Brow. In 1837 he's both owner and occupier. In his father in law's 1825 will, which bequeaths the building to Sarah Blinstone (his wife), it's described as 'Formally known as the Nag's Head' which I assume is why it later gets called 'The Old Nag's Head'.

The confusion comes in 1841 when there are 2 people on the Census who are both publicans living on Booth's Hill/Lymm Booth's. Plus the 1850 trade directories, yours with J Winstanley as publican of the Nag's Head and mine giving Enoch Morgan. Enoch is also an Inn Keeper on Booth's Hill on the 1851 Census.

Richard did own other plots of land, one at the junction of Booth's Hill and Barbank Lane so it's possible he had another pub too.

What I don't know is when exactly he sold it, I've assumed it was when he died but that could be wrong, he could have sold it earlier.

Really I need to find out who owned what and when, not sure how to go about it though.

I've seen Richard Bennett's property on the tithe map and his is definitely the one at the junction of Booth's Hill and Eagle Brow. In 1837 he's both owner and occupier. In his father in law's 1825 will, which bequeaths the building to Sarah Blinstone (his wife), it's described as 'Formally known as the Nag's Head' which I assume is why it later gets called 'The Old Nag's Head'.

The confusion comes in 1841 when there are 2 people on the Census who are both publicans living on Booth's Hill/Lymm Booth's. Plus the 1850 trade directories, yours with J Winstanley as publican of the Nag's Head and mine giving Enoch Morgan. Enoch is also an Inn Keeper on Booth's Hill on the 1851 Census.

Richard did own other plots of land, one at the junction of Booth's Hill and Barbank Lane so it's possible he had another pub too.

What I don't know is when exactly he sold it, I've assumed it was when he died but that could be wrong, he could have sold it earlier.

Really I need to find out who owned what and when, not sure how to go about it though.

Tracey, if you look at Booths Hill lane on the older map you will see there are two more pubs, the one closest to the pub is the Crown and the other further away and across the road is the Anchor.

By the way I put the wrong date on the older map it is 1875 not 1857.

Thanks for pointing that out. They don't match with the 1837 Tithe map but a lot can change in 20 years! I'll ask at the library on Saturday if there's a way of finding out what land he owned between 1837 and his death in 1862.

Thanks for all this Algy, just when you think things are all sewn up some new information comes to light!

This information regarding the Nag's head, Lymm, I copied it from a Lymm Forum from 2004 it was supplied by a member by the name of Joe to another member by the name of Tim.

Should keep you busy for a while Trace.

Nag's Head was at the junction of Eagle Brow, Church Road and Booths Hill Road. The building still stands - better known as the Welfare Centre (or Clinic). Rumour has it that it lost its licence during WW1 for serving outside licensing hours. It was during WW1 that the fairly strict opening hours where introduced to prevent soldiers on leave from being led astray! after what they'd been through in the trenches they deserved to be! The last licensee was Peter S. Nicholas (his name has been visible over the door, underneath "the Nag's Head") There has only been this name as long as I can remember, but very recently another name has become partly visible, a previous landlord ? - looks like Butcher.

Tim, It was the Nag's Head at Booth's Hill. (the original name for the "top half" of Eagle Brow. I have checked the following Trade Directories, Lymm section, found who you're looking for!

White's Directory of Cheshire, 1860 - Nag's Head (old) - Thomas Hall. (obviously an older building than the present one)

Morris's Directory of Cheshire 1874 - Nag's Head - Mrs Margaret Winstanley

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1892 - Nag's Head - Thomas Winstanley (also in Booth's Hill, Alice Winstanley, beer retailer.)

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1906 - Nag's Head - Thomas Winstanley

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1910 - Nag's Head - David McBride

Kelly's Directory of Cheshire 1914-17 - Nag's Head - Joseph Kitchen

I have also checked in later directories for the 1920's and 1930's and can't find the Nag's Head listed, which "backs up" the WW1 story, Hope this helps, Joe

The very same Joe :P

The very same Joe :P

Small world! Joe, I must apologies for borrowing/pinching your forum reply, but I thought the information would help Tracey in her quest, I never dreamed that Joe would find out, just goes to show how wrong I was. :oops::wink::D :grin:

:D:D:wink:

Great pictures and an interesting read but what's the 'Family History thing' you mention being on at Warrington library this weekend Tracey ? :unsure:

26 May 2012, 10:30am - 3pm|Museum & Library|Free|

"Drop in to the Museum and Central Library and meet members of local and family history groups. Discover how you can get involved in exploring the fascinating story of your town and community and join in the Jubilee celebrations. Suitable for all ages."

I'll be there hopefully between 12-30pm and 3 pm, wearing 2 hats, Warrington Family History Group and Lymm & District Local History Society

Small world! Joe, I must apologies for borrowing/pinching your forum reply, but I thought the information would help Tracey in her quest, I never dreamed that Joe would find out, just goes to show how wrong I was. :oops::wink::D :grin:

No problem Algy, just hope it helps :P

26 May 2012, 10:30am - 3pm|Museum & Library|Free|

"Drop in to the Museum and Central Library and meet members of local and family history groups. Discover how you can get involved in exploring the fascinating story of your town and community and join in the Jubilee celebrations. Suitable for all ages."

I'll be there hopefully between 12-30pm and 3 pm, wearing 2 hats, Warrington Family History Group and Lymm & District Local History Society

Sounds really good Joe and maybe you/they could help me with the STUCK point on my family search :unsure: ... but bloody hell it's on the same day as my dad's birthday, my (forced) caravan cleaning chores, the Roman thing at Latchford, my lads trip to the the Wolves game and I've still got my damn cold which is stopping me multi-tasking. :shock:

Any suggestions on how I can get to the Family History event too would be very gratefully received as I really don't want to miss that now :(

Sort of like busses I suppose.. nothing for ages then they all come along at once :blink:

Sounds really good Joe and maybe you/they could help me with the STUCK point on my family search :unsure: ... but bloody hell it's on the same day as my dad's birthday, my (forced) caravan cleaning chores, the Roman thing at Latchford, my lads trip to the the Wolves game and I've still got my damn cold which is stopping me multi-tasking. :shock:

Any suggestions on how I can get to the Family History event too would be very gratefully received as I really don't want to miss that now :(

Sort of like busses I suppose.. nothing for ages then they all come along at once :blink:

If you can't make it on Saturday you could always come to the Warrington Family History Society's meeting where you would be made very welcome, with the opportunity after the talk to have a natter over a cuppa. We meet in the Education suite at the Wolves Stadium at 7pm on the 4th Monday in the month (except July, August and December)Next meeting this coming Monday, the 28th. (with a bit of luck you might not be too contagious by then :P ) Joe

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow then Joe - I've got a long list of questions so expect to be there most of the day!

I've read the Lymm forum that Algy c&P from on occasion but it seems pretty much static now, which is a shame. Nice to see you on here though.

Change of plan !! I'll be there all day flitting between 2 "stalls" :P