4.Grappenhall (last of).

algy

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

The village in 1907.

Grappenhall1907.jpg

Sketch of the Toll House on Knutsford Road at the side of the old Dog & Dart, the Toll gate keeper in 1881 was a lady by the name of Lettice Shakeshaft, who's address was given as 'Knutsford Road Tannery' opposite the Toll gate house and across Knutsford road.

Grappenhall-DrawingoftheTollHouseonKnutsfordRd.jpg

David Bellhouse and his wife Mary, Bellhouse Lane was named after him, he was a wealthy timber merchant from Manchester who originally bought the farm known now as Bellhouse Farm (the Community Centre) to remove his family from the smoke and grime of the city to a healthy rural retreat, but then built a timber saw yard on the canal bank across the lane from the farm, raw timber arrive by canal loaded on wide barges to be processed at the yard.

Grappenhall-DavidBellhouseWifeBellhouseFarmLaneGrappenhallnamedafterhim.jpg

The original stocks outside St. Wilfrids Church, the ones that are there now are replacements.

GrappehallVillageStocksoutsideStWilfridsChurch.jpg

A post card of the old Post Office on Church Lane.

CheshireGrappenhallPostOffice.jpg

Inside St. Wilfrids.

1890sStWilfridsGrappenhall.jpg

Stanney Lunt Bridge Grappenhall. I was informed many years ago by a local that the name 'Stanney Lunt' meant stoney field or copse, but I cannot substantiate that. see 1833 map below.

StaneyLuntBridgeGrappenhall.jpg

This 1833 map shows what is now Chester Road was called Stanney Lane, perhaps a reason for naming the canal bridge Stanney Lunt.

1833map.jpg

St Wilfrids Church and the old Rectory, very little of this view has changed except there are more trees cvering the view of the old Rectory.

GrappenhallSaintWilfredsChurch.jpg

THE END OF GRAPPENHALL PHOTOS.

Brilliant photos. Any idea why there was a Toll on Knutsford Road?

It was there for the Warrington to Stockport Turnpike Road, built in the early 19th Century. The road across Lymm Dam was also part of the Turnpike.

Brilliant photos. Any idea why there was a Toll on Knutsford Road?

Peter, the toll house was situated at the side of the old Dog & Dart where Sherwins paper shop used to be, I believe the shop is now offices for Financial Advisers.

The photo below shows the actual toll house.

GrappenhallTollCottageDogDart.jpg

Peter, the toll house was situated at the side of the old Dog & Dart where Sherwins paper shop used to be, I believe the shop is now offices for Financial Advisers.

The photo below shows the actual toll house.

GrappenhallTollCottageDogDart.jpg

Thanks Algy, I know where you mean. Just didn't know about the Toll road. Your pictures are very informative.