The Small Pox Hospital - Moss Lane, Moore.

algy

I have long been interested in the existence of a Small Pox Hospital that was situated on the Moore side of the Manchester Ship Canal in a field to the bottm left of Moss lane where it meets the canal, I have posted on here some time last year and don't really want to repeat what was said at that tme, however Dizzy has inadvertently fired up my interest again as she has provided me with some 1901 & 1911 census information that in the first 1901 census gave proof of it's existence and in the 1911 census gave the name of the caretaker as 48 year old Cornelius Dodd who's occupation in the 1881 census was given as a 17 year old wheelwright, if anyone has any knowledge about this hospital please post/answer here, I could be wrong but I'm sure arty69uk knows Moore fairly well, if you read this arty and you know anyone from Moore, could you possibly make some local enquiries. :unsure:

Not really sure Nick :roll: but I think you would have been well qualified for admittance as a patient. :D :grin:

Is pedantry a symptom? :)

The earl of Sandwich once said to 18th century radical politician John Wilkes

"Sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox";

Wilkes replied

"That depends, my lord, on whether I embrace your lordship's principles or your mistress".

Is pedantry a symptom? :)

The earl of Sandwich once said to 18th century radical politician John Wilkes

"Sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox";

Wilkes replied

"That depends, my lord, on whether I embrace your lordship's principles or your mistress".

Only a poltroon despises pedantry! :roll:

However, I digress, and stray off topic. :wink::D :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the topic (!!) and Algy's request for info, I showed a friend location of the Moore Smallpox Hospital site about a year ago and there were a few bricks about where the buildings had been. Someone was coming over from Australia and had established some family connection with the Hospital and building of the Ship Canal. I missed the Acton Grange topic last October which I have since looked at and info was exchanged on the Hospital and deaths from smallpox. The epidemic amongst the canal workers and their families peaked in 1892/93 and 35 men, women and children, buried without memorial in Walton St John's Churchyard but remembered in 1990 when a lettered stone was placed over the area of unmarked graves.

I understand that a group of Moore residents is currently researching a history of the village for a new book and enquiries being made at Cheshire Records Office for medical records from the Hospital. There would be few graves at Walton in 1893 with Church and burial ground only 8 years old - perghaps others may have been buried at Daresbury,Grappenhall, Stockton Heath or Thelwall.

Getting back to the topic (!!) and Algy's request for info, I showed a friend location of the Moore Smallpox Hospital site about a year ago and there were a few bricks about where the buildings had been. Someone was coming over from Australia and had established some family connection with the Hospital and building of the Ship Canal. I missed the Acton Grange topic last October which I have since looked at and info was exchanged on the Hospital and deaths from smallpox. The epidemic amongst the canal workers and their families peaked in 1892/93 and 35 men, women and children, buried without memorial in Walton St John's Churchyard but remembered in 1990 when a lettered stone was placed over the area of unmarked graves.

I understand that a group of Moore residents is currently researching a history of the village for a new book and enquiries being made at Cheshire Records Office for medical records from the Hospital. There would be few graves at Walton in 1893 with Church and burial ground only 8 years old - perghaps others may have been buried at Daresbury,Grappenhall, Stockton Heath or Thelwall.

Pedro, thanks for the information, I was giving up hope, I shall do a bit more 'digging' so to speak!