A branch of the river and an old canal

middlec

Does anyone recognise these? Any info/photos around showing these Warrington waterways in their heyday?

1. The old River Mersey bed behind Greenalls, Wilderspool.

2. The remains of the channel from Walton Lock to the River.

3. The last remaining stretch of the Old Quay canal, Eastford Road, by Morley Common, Lower Walton.

1. The old River Mersey bed behind Greenalls, Wilderspool.

2. The remains of the channel from Walton Lock to the River.

3. The last remaining stretch of the Old Quay canal, Eastford Road, by Morley Common, Lower Walton.

Thanks algy. The aerial shot shows a branch of the River Mersey(bottom of image) going along behind where Gainsborough Road is now, and bending past Greenalls towards Wilderspool Causeway. There are barges seen on the photo, so was it possibly still in use then? I never saw this branch of the river when it was here, although people have described it to me, how they played around there when they were young in the 1950's. It would be great to see any photos of this part of the river, when it was used, 1950's or before.

Thanks algy. The aerial shot shows a branch of the River Mersey(bottom of image) going along behind where Gainsborough Road is now, and bending past Greenalls towards Wilderspool Causeway. There are barges seen on the photo, so was it possibly still in use then? I never saw this branch of the river when it was here, although people have described it to me, how they played around there when they were young in the 1950's. It would be great to see any photos of this part of the river, when it was used, 1950's or before.

I used to be in the Warrington Sea Cadets and our head Quarters were situated at the rear of the Crosville Bus Garage which was where those new apartments are by the Brian Bevin Island at the bottom of Chester Road at its junction with Wilderspool Causeway and that part of the river came up to there, the Sea Cadets had a whaler moored at that point and very often rowed up and down there. I can't say as I have ever seen any photos of that area although you can bet someone has got some stored in an old shoe box somewhere!. The river at that point was not used commercially and if I remember correctly they were abandoned concrete barges.

Algy... My Uncle was the Leader of the Sea Cadets at Widerspool Causway (George Taylor)and I have rowed the waler ..it was in fact a lifeboat off a Liner the barges in the photo were conceate but up in the dead end there were 3 woodern barges and two familys lived on them for years Those Barges were just filled in although one was set on fire..memories eh! cheers art.

A few years back. (10 years maybe) They were doing the car park at greenhalls and they dug up those concrete barges. It was in the local press at the time. I think they used them for in fill when filling up the old river. Unfortunately they were broken up and removed.

I have an old OS map of Warrington in the 1850's showing the old river quite well. I believe from local folk law that the new river was cut along Chester road as the old one constantly flooded at Wilderspool and the new cut river was better for shipping.