MSC ONE OFF SPECIAL!

algy

Two navvies working on the bank, one with a hook in place of his amputated hand.

Sorting through to find some interesting photos of building the MSCanal when I came across this one and thought it worthy of appearing on its own.

If the situation had happened today this chap would have been on benefit and looked after, perhaps receiving compensation, at that time he would not have received one penny and probably thought he was lucky to have a job such as the one he is doing.

Two navvies working on the bank, one with a hook in place of his amputated hand.

z0297_Twonavviesworkingonthebankonewithahookinplaceofhisamputatedhand.jpg

Very worthy of it's own place Algy although what they are trying to achieve with a small hammer and what looks like a few sticks is beyone me... hooked hand or not.

With regards to the gents disability I guess like you say they just had to get on with things then if they wanted food on the table and to survive.

In all fairness though there are still a lot of people with various disabilities these days who just get on with it and don't let their disability hold them back even though they could possibly just sit back and live off the handouts.

Very worthy of it's own place Algy although what they are trying to achieve with a small hammer and what looks like a few sticks is beyone me... hooked hand or not.

With regards to the gents disability I guess like you say they just had to get on with things then if they wanted food on the table and to survive.

In all fairness though there are still a lot of people with various disabilities these days who just get on with it and don't let their disability hold them back even though they could possibly just sit back and live off the handouts.

Those "few sticks" are 1" diameter to 11/2" steel crowbars also commonly known as Wrecking bars or pinch bars, these would have a tapered chisel or round spike end that would be inserted under the rock and used as a lever to enable the rock to be moved, as for the hammer that the younger man is holding that would be a long handled 4 or 5lb lump hammer this would be used to drive steel spikes or wedges into the rock to split them as would the other long handled hammers, they look to be 7lb light sledge hammers, difficult to be precise at a distance. The work they are carrying out appears to be to build some type of rough foundation wall as the large stones have been laid on top of smaller ones, perhaps to be infilled with rubble to support the base of one of the barrow runs.