Class British Classic Motorbikes.

algy

These 'butes' were what this country used to be capable of designing , developing and manufacturing in the 1950's, these bikes were the ultimate race machines of there day which unfortunately didn't last too long.

Although I have never been a motorcyclist (Lambretta transportation to and from work only) I loved to watch these machines race and have always had an avid interest for motorbikes.

BSA 'Gold Star'

bsa_gold_star.jpg

Matchless 'G45'

Matchless-1955-G45-JVDH-1.jpg

AJS '7R'

AJS7R350cc.jpg

AJS E95 'Porcupine'

1954-AJS-E95-Porcupine-500cc.jpg

Norton 'Manx'

122-1103-02-o1959-norton-manx.jpg

I'm not realy into old motorbikes myself but nice pics all the same Algy. (Ok so I probably didn't sound very sincere there, sorry :oops::lol: )

Shame on me !!

I had hoped my other half wouldn't spot your pics though as he walked past Algy.. but too late.. here we go again.

He never stops going on about them and like you Rex Max he desperately wants to find one sitting in someones shed somewhere, unloved, that he can restore back to it;s former 'glory'. Maybe you should search together as it may stop me having to listen to endless 'I wish' moans.

Ok so I am heartless and like I say most old bikes (or cars) don't really appeal to me.

When he was 18 (31 years ago) he had a 1959 BSA Bantam D3 125. I've not idea what that is.

He then sold it and and got a BSA C15 (again no idea sorry) which he was doing up but his mum got rid of it :shock:

Guess it's just one of those boy things that makes his life feel incomplete and until he actually does what he had hoped to do back then it will hang over him like a big black cloud.

I guess if they were sprayed dyno-rod or lambourghini orange or black with the odd neon blue lights I may like them more :wink: Oh dear what am I like :oops:

Just recently I found out that the BSA Gold Star (photo 1) was extremely popular here in the States as a flat-track racer. Surprising to me, I had only seen them used with sidecars in the old days in the UK. I personally had the BSA 'sport' model, the Shooting Star A7. It was a 500 twin, but would struggle to get over 80 mph. Now have a Suzuki sport/tourer that zips up to 130 mph. How things have changed.

Just recently I found out that the BSA Gold Star (photo 1) was extremely popular here in the States as a flat-track racer. Surprising to me, I had only seen them used with sidecars in the old days in the UK. I personally had the BSA 'sport' model, the Shooting Star A7. It was a 500 twin, but would struggle to get over 80 mph. Now have a Suzuki sport/tourer that zips up to 130 mph. How things have changed.

The first Goldie' I set eyes on was standing on the platform on Bank Quay station when I was returning to Tech College in Hereford in 1957 and that had a label on it stating it was bound for the USA no doubt owned by an American Serviceman from Burtonwood and that was in race trim with clip on handle bars. As you say Stall' bike technology has left these machines way behind long ago, 130 mph would only have been a dream in the 1950's.