Spirit of the Glen

observer

Is that the one with the lone guard and his bagpipes on the front cover? Nearly bought it for my dad as he likes bagpipes but wasn't sure.

So I bought 'The Soldiers - Coming Home' cd for myself instead and it's really GOOD (songs sung by 3 soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan and who recorded the album during breaks in their duties to raise money for various army charities. )

Even my other half and my son like it... that's a first us all agreeing on something :shock::D

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

Formally known as The Royal Scots Greys. Disbanded in 1971. The Royal Scots (2nd Dragoons) amalgamated with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards) to form Scotlands new armoured Regiment, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Caribiniers and Greys).

I think the first album by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards as they are now known, is called (Farewell To The Greys). If anybody is interested in borrowing the L.P let me know.

Correct Wingy; and they are celebrated in a painting of their charge at Waterloo; when the British Heavy Cavalry (2 Bdes) of less than 3,000, broke up the main French assault by D'Erleon's Corps (15,000). They went on impetously to charge the French grand battery (80 guns), where they were surrounded and cut up by Polish Lancers. :cry:

Not really Jim, as both sides would be spewing out smoke from cannon and small arms, the whole battle field would be shrouded in drifting smoke. The picture shows them at the gallop, which was used at the latter end of the charge. The reason they were so effective in this instance, was that D'Erleon assembled his Divisions in columns of Battalion lines, rather than Battalions in column of Companies, which prevented them from rapidly forming square. Believe the final attack by the Imperial Guard was in Battalion Squares, which ironically made them suceptable to Infantry and Artillery fire. :?

Back to the CD: there's a track on it of Rod Stewart's "we are sailing" which I recall, accompanied our task force down to the Falklands back in 1982. :?

Yes I remember that song very well, played when the QE 2 set sail from South-Hampton to the Falklands via the Ascension Islands in 1982.

Jimmy.