Sauces?

observer

You don't need to put either in your sauce/gravy if you thicken with cornflour/arrowroot/potato starch mixed with cold water and whisked into the hot sauce then boiled to thicken instead of a roux. Won't be as shiny, won't be as rich, but it'll still be nice.

"Margarine" has to have 90% fat, so it's no better for you than butter. Most stuff on sale though has a lot less fat than that and is therefore technically "spread".... fascinating fact, eh? We're all paying for water....

What's healthier? Who knows? Calcium is good for you, saturated fat is bad for you, but if you heat the so-called "healthy" oils to 200C, they become exceedingly unhealthy, and the worst fats of all are trans-fats that are frequently stuffed in all kinds of food to lengthen shelf-life. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, have whatever you like best, cos no matter what that is, someone will tell you it's wrong!! :lol:

Now I'm really confused again - butter or margarine? :? Just what IS healthy? :?

Apparently Margarine is so processed it borders on almost being a form of plastic and nothing will apparently grow or live on it either which makes you wonder eh?

Might stick a tub of marge and a block of butter in my shed for a few weeks and see what happens..... or would the butter attract mice :shock:

Back to the topic: seems scientists at the Royal Institute of Chemistry have come up with a formula for the best gravy - which basically derives from beef fat, flour and cabbage water (as per the traditional recipe), however they suggest that the addition of Soy Sauce makes the difference. :?

Sounds rather nice.

My mother-in-law allways makes sunday roast gravy in the traditional way you mentioned, might tell her about the Soy Sauce so we can try it. Can't do it myslef as I only know how to make Gravy with Bisto granules :lol::oops:

... PS I forgot to but my marg and butter in my shed to see what happens. Reminder !!!!

One thing I have noticed though... I have started buying Lurpack Spreadable (unsalted of course) presuming it was butter. If you leave it out for over 1/2 hour at room temperature it turns into a smoothe and very runny liquid :shock:

In contrast my m-i-l buys REAL butter and just leaves it in a butter dish in her bread bin and apparently stays fine and is obviously more spreadable than when it's kept in a fridge :?:?:

Thanks LP... Guess I fell for the Lurpack 'spreadable butter' twaddle without really thinking about it :oops:

But then again.. should we all have to spend time researching on the internet for clues about what we are really eating and wether the advertisers themselves are conning us.

Guess the answer to that is YES :shock::wink::lol:

Most people do - it's why they name it like that. Lots of brands do it if you look. Often, they charge more for it than the butter and people pay it. If you look at all the products, block and tub, you'll find a couple that have roughly the same butter content and are an awful lot cheaper.

I get a bit rabid about it, because I can tell butter from anything else. I have no idea how anyone is fooled in those "can't tell it from butter" demos. I use various things for different purposes, but when it comes to my crumpets, there is just no acceptable substitute for slightly salted English butter! :lol: