Soldier's disgust at expenses greed of MPs

Mary

It has emerged that the disk containing uncensored information on MPs? expense claims was leaked by a mole angered at the Government?s failure to properly equip soldiers fighting in Afghanistan.

Gary was among a number of troops who were moonlighting during their annual leave to earn money for military equipment.

It was his fury at discovering how much taxpayers? money MPs were lavishing on themselves ? while he and other soldiers were saving up to buy their own body armour and other equipment ? that prompted the leak by one of his civilian colleagues.

The soldier said: ?I needed to earn extra money to buy a few items of essential equipment?simple items such as sunglasses, new boots and patrol gloves. Why, you might ask, would I be buying these items when they are already issued to us? The reason is quite simple: the quality of the items purchased in the civilian market is far superior to what we are currently issued with by the MoD (Ministry of Defence).

?Another colleague who worked on the project wanted the extra money to buy a new ballistic vest. Again, a superior quality product which he was going to buy from a South African company. We are issued with ballistic vests but, again, it was simply a case of investing in a superior product for safety and security. As I am sure you can appreciate, confidence in one?s own equipment is essential in a front-line battle.?

During the redaction process, Gary said he felt ?disappointment and disgust with some of the more frivolous claims?.

He said: ?From discussions with the people working on the project, it was clear that everyone felt the same way to a lesser or greater degree.

?We all understand our politicians have a job to do and that this job is not easy at times. However, this can be said for most of the working population, and most of the working population has to exist on far less in terms of wages and expenses. In corporate life and military life, it seems that our expenses systems are far more rigorous and stringent than those of our serving MPs.

?We are expected to be meticulous and accountable in our record-keeping but it seems that the same standards do not apply in our elected representatives. It seemed to be the feeling of the people in the room that this cavalier attitude towards tax-payers? money was unacceptable. I find myself agreeing with this sentiment, especially in the light of my own difficulties in obtaining equipment of a suitable standard to ensure my own safety in battle.?

I know families of soldiers over here buy better equipment for thier loved ones in war as well. Sad state of affairs!!