Traffic chaos

Egbert

Well, if we didn't know it before, we now know how to solve the problems of Warrington's traffic chaos. Price motorists off the road!

After the school holidays ended I braced myself for the usual return of congestion. It didn't happen. For weeks, traffic levels were little different than during the school holidays.

Now, however, the congestion is back.

What happened to cause this? It must be petrol prices. When they were high a significant number of people either stayed at home, went on the bus or shared cars. Now the price has come down (the AA reports it has come down by a record amount over the last month) they are back.

What I want to know is, if they managed without their cars last month, why can't they this?

I think he does make a valid point and he doesn't need to drive a car to have observed the changes he speaks of.

It could very well down to the price of petrol. With the price rises people will have been cutting down on their journeys and only doing the essential ones.

Maybe they decided to walk to local shops instead of being a petrol heads, perhaps they cycled or took the bus, maybe they even walked with their children to school, stranger things have happened.

As petrol has fallen in price then they will have simply got back in their cars and filled up.

Traffic did ease for a while. I noticed that the bus drivers have been muttering a lot more as traffic has increased during the last week.

I remember when car drivers and other road users used to give way to buses. Well that certainly isn't the case in Warrington these days. One bus that I was on got cut off by three different occasions before we had even left the Town centre.

I remember when car drivers and other road users used to give way to buses. Well that certainly isn't the case in Warrington these days. One bus that I was on got cut off by three different occasions before we had even left the Town centre.

Geoff. A few years ago, bus drivers were told they had the right of way and could just pull out whether cars were coming or not.

Perhaps the car drivers got fed up with this.