Olympic Opening Ceremony - what did you think?

Geoffrey Settle

Well what a show - certainly going to be a hard act to follow in four years time. Certainly lots of inovative ideas - a great opening to what should be a great games don't you think?
I had no interest in the Olympics, and dont think at Athens I sat down to watch any of it.

But so far, we've seen the best opening ceremony ever for any major sporting event, two superb cycle road races, and some tremendous swimming (not sure if that's just Sharon Davies though? :mrgreen: ) and I've watched loads of it.

Could well be one of best. That said BBC need to get their act together, just as the mens cycling entered the last 20kms (complete with most of the top pros in the world), they went back to the rowing where they were holding first round heats, and we had to switch to the red button.

Opening ceremony was rather good :D (even though I put my TV on over 5 hours too early to watch it OOPS :lol::roll:)

What amazed me was the skill of syncronisation in not only the vast number of drummers with their 'light' drums but also the 'printing' machine display. I thought it was done electronically until all the chaps popped out of their boxes at the end. Superb :D A lot of thought had obviously gone into it all and yes possibly a hard act to follow.

Must admit though I did start to get a little bored when all the athletes from the different counctries were walking in.... but apparently that's our fault as we were the first to introduce the 'walk in' bit :wink:

Pitty about the smog (ooh sorry it's not smog :roll: ) and bad weather conditions so far but a gold for the Welsh cyclist was brilliant, and some good swimming and boxing results too so far. Just pipped at the post for bronze in the womens Archery. Shame :cry:

Didn't see any of the Athens olympics as we were away at the time but looking forward to hopefully watching a lot of these 8)

I kept nipping across to the opening during breaks in the cricket and what mind numbing boredom it was. The Olympic Games should be about competition not which country can spend the most on pathetic posing.

I dread to think how much we are going to pay for London to try to better it.

Enjoyed the cycling this morning but I can't find myself weeping over the women archers not getting a medal.

I also didn't realise that the BBC had so many useless commentators and that the interviewers were so banal and ask stupid questions.

I kept nipping across to the opening during breaks in the cricket and what mind numbing boredom it was. The Olympic Games should be about competition not which country can spend the most on pathetic posing.

I dread to think how much we are going to pay for London to try to better it.

Enjoyed the cycling this morning but I can't find myself weeping over the women archers not getting a medal.

I also didn't realise that the BBC had so many useless commentators and that the interviewers were so banal ask stupid rather obvious questions. eg, how does it feel, you must be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the opening ceremony -- have sent in a purchase for the DVD. Commentators here, though, criticized the gum chewing by Americans, and I thought the phone-cameras were overdone.

I thought the gold medalist in ladies gymnastics was way too young. In fact, that was her name - Wei Tu-Yung.

The synch. divers and swimmers were awesome. Loved the beach volleyball and indoor volleyball, and water polo is my son's sport. Those darn Hungarians!!!

Bryan Clay lives a couple of miles from my old lhouse, and trains at Azusa-Pacific College nearby. I admire decathlons.

A comedy show put a picture of Mike Phelps next to Wallace, of Wallace and Grommit. Pretty similar likeness.

I agree the countries should leave it to amateur athletes -- but the genie is out of the bottle now, eh? That's where the money is.