At last The Council Provide Entertainment for the Youth

Bazj

"Every cloud has a silver lining...." or so the story goes; and maybe in Westbrook that is true.

In spite of the fact that the Council have managed to waste up to ?750,000.00 of our money on lights that nobody wanted and that Councillors Axcel, Earl and co seem to triumph as a wonderful piece of council planning and desgin; there may be a postive side effect of the works that keeps the kids entertained.....

I am talking about the gang of kids I had to report tonight who; in broad daylight were quite openly entering the contractors compound and trying to gain access to the JCB type machinery and the machine next to the bus stop which they managed to open the cover at the front to "check out" what was inside!

How long do you reckon before one of the kids gets one of these diggers working? or how long before one goes up in smoke?

Unfortunately, the bus stops in the area provide only a limited amount of entertainment with their "who can smash the glass from furthest away" competitions being quite a short game (until the glass is replaced of course!).... so having this load of "playground equipment" dumped on their doorsteps must seem like manna from heaven!

Nice one WBC, another worthwhile project as endorsed by your local Westbrook Councillors!

Apparently so Geoff.

Since the council stuck the infernal things in place of a perfectly good roundabout (just so 10 people a week could cross the road), estimats are that it will cost somewhere in the region of ?750,000.00 by the time the latest round of roadworks have been finished.

Nice to know that our local councillors are in control of things though Geoff!!

I can understand that people are sometimes worried about saying anything to groups of young people, but if none of us do, it just confirms to them that adults either don't care about the community or that we're scared of them. If the police also don't/can't arrive to sort it out is it any wonder that some young people carry on doing just as they like?

Chrissy, It isn't that I was worried about saying anyting to them, I was passing in my car in a lot of traffic and figured the Police was an obvious route. Had the need arisen, I am 16 stone and quite capable of throwing a young oik of a digger!!

What rights are these obs they have no rigths if they are tresspassing and the sooner people wake up to this fact the better!! :(

Bazj - it's still not too late to report what you saw and take a description of the youths - age/sex what they were wearing. Could you have gone back with a camera and got photographic evidence?

I did try once but as he was on a bike he was only a blip on the horizon - fortunately a local person recognised him and between us both we gave the police a description from which they could take action.

The young idiot had been riding his bike on the local Primary School roof!!

I can understand that people are sometimes worried about saying anything to groups of young people, but if none of us do, it just confirms to them that adults either don't care about the community or that we're scared of them. If the police also don't/can't arrive to sort it out is it any wonder that some young people carry on doing just as they like?

Great advice Chrissy. Especially in the light of the Gary Newlove murder.

Exactly what I was about to say.... !!

Chrissy if you would seriously think of confronting a gang of kids on your own who are breaking the law then you are obviously a very brave lady or just rather stupid :shock: (I mean that in the nicest possible way of course :wink: )

So we do nothing then?

That's not what I meant and of course I would do something... but that does NOT include wading in on my own to sort a bunch of scallies out :shock::roll: I would phone the police.

As I have grown up I have reaslised that I am not actually invincilbe after all :wink:

Obviously every situation is different, but the Gary Newlove tragedy was actually rare. Its kids who are most at risk from other kids. All I'm saying is that at one time most of us would have said something to young people being stupid, now most of us wouldn't, due to the largely mistaken belief that we would be attacked.

And yes, I have spoken to groups of kids being stupid - I emphasise spoken to them, not confronted them.

True the older you get the more you have to use your head.

It's a pity that Westbrook Tigers had to pack up they could have used youngsters with loads of energy on the rugby pitch behind the 3 Woods.

Where did the other 4 woods go?

What rights are these obs they have no rigths if they are tresspassing and the sooner people wake up to this fact the better!! :(

Bazj - it's still not too late to report what you saw and take a description of the youths - age/sex what they were wearing. Could you have gone back with a camera and got photographic evidence?

I did try once but as he was on a bike he was only a blip on the horizon - fortunately a local person recognised him and between us both we gave the police a description from which they could take action.

The young idiot had been riding his bike on the local Primary School roof!!

Geoff, short of asking you if you read my posts above all the way through, I will reitterate that I phoned the Police to report the incident (and gave a decription of a few of the scallys too) Whether they did or do anything to act on my call is another matter. They haven't called me to tell me anything as yet!! :lol: