Jacobs Well

Sherlock Bones

Never heard of it although there is a Jacobs Well in Surrey / Bradford...

Do you have any other info at all such as date/period etc etc and I'll try and find out for you although I imagine the likes of Indiana James or The Man In Black may be able to tell you more if it did exist in Warrington.

I've caught up now. :D

If you travel up Red Lane to the Cemetery, and instead of following the road round, go straight across. You come to high sandstone on both sides of the road. Jacob's Well is just there.(on the right?)

A word of warning you cannot drive through to the Reservoir without wrecking your suspension or losing your exhaust, but you can turn around.

Do you mean the 'trough' cut out in the sandstone wall?

It used to scare the living daylights out of me as a kid/teen as the story was that the witch who once lived there used to get her water from the trough and you should never ever look into it :o:o

Didn't know it was an actual well...

Hi all, and thanks for the info, i have just had a ride out there, took a bit of finding, spoke to a few locals, they tell me the well was for the horses draging stone out of the quarry, i do not see it a part of the church mentioned in the linked website, some great views over warrington from the top of the hill, all this came from a postcard shot circa 1907 i found, many thanks!

Bob

I see or don't see because I too can't view them - it's probably because the link is wrong or we havn't got access to the link - it's https://system.hpacde.org.uk/picturecheshire/jpgl/c02136.jpg - I get web page can't be found.aybe we havn't got theright software - whatever HPASDE is :wink: Maybe Mike_b can help us?

[ 11.01.2008, 23:41: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

• 2 months later...

I didn't realize the sandstone cuttings were called Jacobs Ladder. When I was growing up my grandmother used to always call it the Roman Cuttings. Does anyone know why this would be and also, who created the cuttings through the sandstone? Was it the Romans? Would love to know.

As far as I know the following is true:

The reason the Sandstone Cut was called 'The Roman Cutting' is because a ghost story was current up to the 1970's that a troop of Roman Soldiers marched out of one wall and into the other on moonlit nights, waist deep in the road. Why this story should be so is a mystery due to another more factual story:

The earliest graphitti carved into the walls of the Sandstone Cut is dated '1742' and the story goes that the cuttng was made by workers preparing for the Bridgewater Canal - the deal being that the canal would proceed without difficulty and the sandstone taken used in construction providing the cut was made to allow local farmers improved access to developing farms beyond. Given the 'Enclosure Act' of the 1730's and improvements made by Admiral Daniel Hoare at Bellfields Farm in the 1750's and 1760's, this is quite believable. A lime kiln from this period also exists in the private woods beyond the cutting.

When Jacob's Well was cleared of debris in the 1970's the oldest coin with a readable date was a penny of 1822, but older highly corroded coins were represented. About 75 coins were found indicating the limited use of Jacob's Well as a wishing well but I've never heared of a witch using it ! Cromwell's Cottage, which stood in the cemetary on Hill Cliff up to the early 1900'ds, was said to be lived in 'by a witch' but was one of only 4 houses/farms on the hill at that time.

Hope that helps :angelwings: