Truancy?

observer

Why do I get the feeling we've been here before? Probably because we've had similar half-baked ideas suggested over the last 15/20 years, none of which have done anything to solve whatever perceived problem they were supposed to. However if it gets a cople of thousand more "officials" on the public payroll it will be seen as worthwhile by TPTB <_< <_< <_<

Think one has to question the thinking behind some of these social engineering or behaviour control ploys:- What's the purpose/point of paying the benefit in the first place - presumably to counter poverty? So, deny the benefit and you exacerbate the reason for paying it in the first place! Do we want to educate these kids, indeed, do these kids want education - you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - so even chaining to a desk may not be the answer. :wink:

In the first place, that is at the conception (pardon the pun) of family allowance (as it was first called), families received five shillings for a second and subsequent child (nothing for a first child) around the time of the end of WW2. It was intended to encourage regrowth in a population depleted by the war. It was only intended as a temporary benefit but it has been continued ever since, under various name changes. :)

As for the kids of today, there will be no improvement in their behaviour, in fact it will continue to deteriorate until the government of the day stops listening to all the softie dogooders etc., who advocated allowing children to express themselves in their own way without any restraint or punishments (the results of which we are witnessing today) and bring about a return to the older times when corporal punishment was used to bring miscreants back into line. :roll:

• Upvote 1

Perhaps any monies the government wants to give to families in terms of child benefit or tax credits etc. should be invested from a child's birth into a government account which can only be accessed with proof of identity by the named child at the age of 18 for university fees or other training course/apprenticeship. The parents would have to either pay for their own childrens' upbringing or not have them!

I still remember a conversation I had a few years ago with my German friend who lives in what was old East Germany.....

He couldn't understand why the British Government employed people to take money off workers in taxes and then employed more people to give some of that back again!!

Why not just take less from them to begin with was his solution..... so simple that it is brilliant!! :D

Obs.... I'm not sure if your remark was serious or not.... but I have to say that if someone who can but won't work and has enough money from benefits to have holidays, cars TV's, fags or booze; then they are getting too much in benefits.

Hence the suggestion that "benefits" are made in kind rather than cash, thus free or subsidised essential services and goods. Having said that, and getting back on topic: education is a "free" service, but alas some are too culturally deprived to appreciate and use it. :shock: