Why is it -

observer

Probably because, contrary to popular opinion, big isn't always best. The bigger and more complex the enterprise the more things there are to go wrong. This also explains why the wheels are always falling off Nulabour's big government machine never mind the super mess the EU make of everything. :o:o:o :bluegrab:

why is it, that 200 years ago, engineers, builders and architects could put their heads together and build the most extravigant of buildings, complete with facets, gargoyles, art and inspirational craftmanship usualy financed by well meaning private businessmen who wanted to leave a community legacy.

and now days, some prefabricated lego assembly, made from so called "modern materials" supposidly developed to make conceptual design more feasible, spirals out of ?400 Million budgets to the ?billions of public money, looks like shoite, and suffers from all sorts of so called "teething troubles".

Originally posted by wolfie:

Apparantly the new Beijing airport had similar problems when it opened a few weeks ago and they had 7000 students doing practice runs with baggage for a week before opening. :roll:

I understand T5 had had months of practice with 3000 volunteers. Maybe instead of mucking around with fingerprinting technology...which they can't use at the moment anyway, they should have the resources into luggage handling.

It does look like they are putting the blame on staff issues for their problems i.e. getting staff into the right place at the right time, lack of training, security and not technology.

They certainly didn't consider the volumes on day one and should have kept the number of flights to a minimum. Once proven they could then have racked it up when they knew that they could cope.

It looks like in retrospect that they were very naive, panicked and didn't have a contingency plan in case it went wrong. :x

There will certainly be more than a few red faces after this one - a few demotions or worse - and a good study for Project Managers on how not to implement a new system.

[ 29.03.2008, 04:32: Message edited by: Painter Geoff ]

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Originally posted by wolfie:

Apparantly the new Beijing airport had similar problems when it opened a few weeks ago and they had 7000 students doing practice runs with baggage for a week before opening. :roll:

I understand T5 had had months of practice with 3000 volunteers. Maybe instead of mucking around with fingerprinting technology...which they can't use at the moment anyway, they should have the resources into luggage handling.
They got that wrong too Paul - the 3000 ended up as 300 for 1 week. :roll:

Ah, that's where they went wrong then. Wonder if the 2700 realised it was shambles and gave up.

Interestingly you would have thought the capacity to deal with the T5 problem was still available in the other 4 terminals...and flights could have switched back to them once it was obvious that there was a major problem...i.e. within the first couple of hours of opening. Maybe those in charge couldn't bring themselves to plan for failure....or they were so complacent/arrogant. I understand an advert proclaiming the greatness of T5 has been pulled. :wink: