Time Square - the big hole

Dizzy

A few months ago I posted these photo and a few others asking what the hole could be that I'd seen from the multi storey car park.  We all determined it was part of the old gas works (a gasometer) that  used to be on the Time Square site many years ago.

Time%20Square%201984%20from%20Harolds%20

Time%20Square%2012%20May%202015%20car%20

I went for another look yesterday while I was in town and that holes been filled in but look at this whopper.  Yes it's the remains of the Gasometer.

Apparently they are still digging down presumably to clear contamination too. 

CLICK TO ENLARGE 

time%20square%20gasometer%201%205%20sept

time%20square%20gasometer%202%205%20sept

time%20square%20gasometer%203%205%20sept

time%20square%20gasometer%206%205%20sept

It'll last longer than the new market I'll bet :)

Watched a programme on TV the other night where they were suggesting the days of the traditional market stall were very much numbered with the rise of the pound shop and discount shops like B&M, Home Bargains etc.. WBC are building a new multimillion pound market but at the same time allowing new developments on Alban which has just seen the opening of a Home Bargains and a new B&M opened not long ago too.... Oh well, they could always turn it into a youth zone in a few years.....or maybe that was the plan all along :)

Have to wonder why it was never dug up and tested for contaminants when they developed the Time Sqaure area first time round.  Maybe they never had to do things like that then though.

The councils archaeologists have apparently been down too but said because of past development and the gas works there wasn't much point in looking. 

Have to say I agree that about markets Baz and as much as I try my best to support local small businesses in and around town it is getting hard to do that with the alternatives on offer and savings to be had. 

For example last month we both upgraded our mobile phones only to find we couldn't find anywhere in Warrington who sold cases for the (not iPhone as there were plenty for them but ours are Sony and Samsung, irrelevant though) so I reinstated my ebay and paypal accounts and bought via ebay.  3 online purchases from different sellers (two leather cases for two different type phones plus screen protector)  total outlay just under £8 and all delivered for FREE a few days later to the local Argos store of my choice.  I chose the new one inside Homebase at Riverside Retail Park for ease and FREE parking there and I also received both email and txt messages to say when it was ready for collection.  Have to say it was all really easy.

I know people are only trying to make a living and the overheads for running a market stall or barrow in the Golden Square etc must be HUGE but the likes of ebay and amazon are making it so hard for them too. At the end of the day why would people spend well over the top locally (£10 for one  phone case in my case)  when they can get the same thing on line and delivered for free for a less than a 3rd of the price  with such ease.  These ebay sellers must still make money too but better the savings in my pocket these days I'm afraid rather than lining someone elses pockets to such an extent as we all need to make a living and all need to save our hard eared pennies and pounds where we can.

Sad though.....

Fab and I'd forgotten all about that photo Algy :D 

I remember another photo on here now that showed what it looked like when it was completed too.  I seem to remember there being 3 of them so they might have a shock when they move up the area a bit and have to go through it all again :lol:

I'm sure they must have known they were there before they started though so it's all planned and workable :wink:

When I needed a cable for my phone I went to the market and was told it would cost £6, Ebay was 99p with post sent from Manchester.

The problem with the current market was I am told stalls are to expensive.

A Newton Le Willows type of market would be cool were the traders trade from their vans and trucks, although last time i was there it wasn't so cheap and the number of stalls had gone down, wonder if the pitches are to expensive too?

Have to wonder why it was never dug up and tested for contaminants when they developed the Time Sqaure area first time round.  Maybe they never had to do things like that then though.

I am guessing because previously that bit was a car park but as it is going to have a building on that piece of ground the ground underneith hast to be stable