At war with the Yanks -

observer

Watched an interesting prog on the 1812 War between Britain and the USA, presented by Dan Snow. Seems the Yanks declared war on Britain, while we were busy fighting Napoleon, and attacked and burned the Capital York (now Toronto), but were later routed at Stony Creek, after a night attack by the outnumbered Brits (4 to 1) on their camp. With the defeat of Napoleon in 1814; the Brits were able to transfer veterans and ships to America, resulting in occupation of Washington DC and the burning of the White House. A couple of defensive successes by the Yanks at Baltimore and New Orleans resulted in stalemate and a peace treaty ending the war. Seems the "special relationship" didn't appear until after WW2; with the US in WW1 not being officially classed as Allies, and between the Wars, the Yanks had a plan for the invasion of Canada! :shock:

You may already know this ,but the film Master & Commander had the story altered to Russell Crowe in battle with a French ship with a reinforced hull...the ship was in reality American & based on fact but the story had been changed so as not to offend our American friends for purposes of the film.

Incidentally re the First World War,an uncle of mine emigrated to Boston early last century & when war broke out crossed the border to Canada where he enlisted then fought in Europe with the Canadians for the duration & thankfully came out the other side.

Didn't know that Wavy; I'll watch the film again with a new insight - where was the real encounter? Many Yanks joined the RAF at the start of WW2 and formed the Eagle Squadron. In WW1 the Germans had quite an effective espionage network in the USA; with the help of Irish Republican dock workers, planting bombs in British cargoe ships and sinking them at sea. They also opened a fake arms factory and took orders (and money) from the Allies for a 6month delivery - 6months later the factory was empty and the managers had disappeared! Seems truth is stranger than fiction! :wink:

We really have had a chequered past with our friends across both bits of water. Re. the film ,i don't actually know the whereabouts of the incident but look out for "Master & Commander the true story" on sky or cable channels, i'm sure it will soon be on again !