27. Building the MSC.

algy

Warburton High Level Bridge Asphalting.

z0379_WarburtonHighLevelBridgeAsphalting.jpg

Warburton High Level Bridge Centre Girder being raised.

z0381_WarburtonHighLevelBridgeCentreGirderbeingraised.jpg

Warburton High Level Bridge, installing the footway.

z0382_WarburtonHighLevelBridge.jpg

Weston Mersey Lock.

z0388_WestonMerseyLock.jpg

Christ Church, Weston Point. When it was built, the church stood on a headland jutting out into the River Mersey. However the Manchester Ship Canal was built on its river-side, and the Runcorn and Weston Canal on the land-side, leaving it on an island. At this time it was said to be the only church in Britain in use on an uninhabited island.

z0389_WestonPointChurch.jpg

Excavators working on the Manchester Ship Canal near Weston Point. In the foreground are several wagons on temporary railway lines. In the background can be seen the masts of several sailing vessels moored at Weston Point.

z0390_WestonPointDocksConstructionWork.jpg

Weston Point Docks.

z0391_WestonPointDocks.jpg

One of the many steamers which carried live cattle further up the canal to either the Coastwise Cattle Wharves or to Manchester Corporation Lairages and Foreign Animal Wharf. The trade in live cattle meant animals were being shipped in from as far away as New York.

z0392_WestonPointsteamerLestriscattleboattoIreland.jpg

Miles of temporary railway track was laid during the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal for the transportation of men and material. In the foreground, a locomotive pulls several trucks along such a line. In the cutting a land excavator is at work, with more railway line in the background. To the left can be seen the lighthouse at Weston Point, next to the masts of sailing vessels.

z0393_WestonPointCuttingWork.jpg

A sailing vessel on the Manchester Ship Canal at Weston Point.

z0394_WestonPoint.jpg

My Uncle Ernie used to work the sugar barges from Weston past Warrington to St Helens. He used to park up at Bewsey Locks and go ccourting my Aunty Phyllis in Trafford Avenue.

Did you ever meet Ernie Algy? He was Brians Father-in-Law

My Uncle Ernie used to work the sugar barges from Weston past Warrington to St Helens. He used to park up at Bewsey Locks and go ccourting my Aunty Phyllis in Trafford Avenue.

Did you ever meet Ernie Algy? He was Brians Father-in-Law

No Baz, I never new him although his face does look familiar, if he lived around Weston Point I'm sure I will have seen him.