What a waste of time

Rex Mac

About four years ago, for the first time ever, I bought an extended warranty for a domestic appliance.

I have just had to make a claim against the warranty. To make life as easy as possible for the repair company I made sure of the following points before calling for service: -

1 - Machine manufacturer.

2 - Machine model number.

3 - Machine serial number.

4 - The reported fault code, (water fill solenoid valve fault.)

The lady who took my call was very impressed that I had supplied so much information and commented about how easy their lives would be if everyone did the same.

I have just taken 5 hours out of my working day to wait in for the Engineer to arrive. When he arrived he switched the machine on and started a wash cycle. The alarm sounded, he opened the door and studied the fault code.

He turned to me and said "You need a new water fill solenoid valve, I'll order one for you and make another appointment."

I am now looking at another wasted day all because somebody forgot to either pass the information down the line or the Engineer didn't bother to read his job sheet preoperly, (when I asked to look at his job sheet he kept part of the report area covered so I could not see the fault description.)

For the grand sum of £23.95 I could have ordered the part and fitted it at my leisure.

Question - "Would you lake to take advantage of our extended warranty Sir?"

I'll bet you can't guess what my answer will be next time

Should never take out an extended warranty. It's just a way for the company to get more money out of you. By law goods such as washing machines etc., should be of a good enough quality to last a reasonable number of years of normal usage without need of repair. Four years is not a reasonable number of years for an item such as a washing machine. Therefor the company you bought it from have a duty to either replace it (not very likely) or arrange it's repair free of any charge.

The washing machine I left in my UK house was almost nine years old and like new, even with regular usage. I never had a single problem with it apart from on one occasion when the door would not open. I just gave it a bang with heel of my hand and it opened ok.

The thing that really got on my nerves was that I had advised the fault diagnostics code and identified the problem yet the guy still turned up without the required part to effect a repair.

In my work life I design and sell equipment for use in the oil and gas industry, can you imagine sending a team of Engineers out to a rig just to say, "I'll order the parts and let you know when I'm next in the area." Somehow I don't think we would stay in business for very long if we did that.

I have never taken out one of these warranties before and I will certainly never bother again.

I hope you are right inky, I had heard it was 5 years

Even if 5 years Max would have been within his right to demand a free repair without need of an extended warranty.

You have six years to get a claim in to court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years.