Brilliant Manx Express - World Champion Mark Cavendish

Geoffrey Settle

What a Brilliant Year for the Manx Man and a fantastic race to take the World Championship yesterday in Denmark for the first time since 1965.

As he said he couldn't have done it without the support of the GB team - how he got through to an incredible sprint finish only he know and only he can do.

To go in as firm favorites with everyone knowing what the team’s game plan was a risk but the confidence to succeed was there and no one could touch them.

Surely a contender for BBC TV sports personality of the year.

He has had an incredible year.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the BBC Sports Personality award though, going off previous years it's more likely that the voting populous will favour a candidate from a more mainstream type of sport.

By the way, are you based on the Island? for some reason the Guy Martin photo' and other references suggest you might be.

Fantastic acheivement for the Manx Missile. Always humbled to hear him pay tribute to the rest of his team that help him get to within a few metres of the finish to allow him to blast off.

A truly inspirational sportsman. Talk of him getting BBC Sport Personality award- shame really- he has too much personality for that award.

Fantastic achievement for the Manx Missile. Always humbled to hear him pay tribute to the rest of his team that help him get to within a few metres of the finish to allow him to blast off.

A truly inspirational sportsman. Talk of him getting BBC Sport Personality award- shame really- he has too much personality for that award.

Warrant card always displayed DIZZY - change this year was from an arm band to one on a security type hung around your neck - you always have to have it displayed because when the course is closed you have the powers of a policeman who can't come onto the LIVE course. My avitar is GUY Martin maybe I should change it to Mark.

Here is a photo of me and my Sector Marashal - John(mullet)Walsh at a refresher course before the 2009 event learning what to do when the helicopter arrives and you have to load the stretcher.

HPIM2519.jpg

Anyway back to CAV - he's a great example of an inspired Sportsman exemplifying all that is best in endeavour as an individual and as a TEAM player - just hope the media don't undermine that - You can't underestimate how much he has really INSPIRED the Manx children - they already have many budding champions doing ever so well for their country and leaders in the North West.

What a fantastic ambassador Mark is not only for the IOM but also for Team GB. We all need to take a lesson out of his book.