Spotted my FIRST Peacock Butterly of the YEAR

At last I've spotted a Peacock Butterfly - the first of the year.

For some reason there have been very few butterflies - maybe it's just been too cold and wet - but after a few days of sun and baking condition today there are loads of speckled woods along side Padgate and Spittle Brook, the whites are out and about with a biggy on the wife's cabbage - but don't tell her just yet.

So has summer finally arrived, the butterflies certainly think so?

I saw a brown butterfly on the floor in my yard last week and it was lovely so I grabbed my camera, and just as I clicked the blummin' dog ran out and scared it. Here's the result but I doubt you can make out what sort it was Geoff.....

post-1180-0-53409400-1311768075_thumb.jpg

And this morning there was a lovely white one on my ivy so again I grabbled my camera. I only got this picture as when I was going closer I tripped over the hosepipe and it flew off with its twin which I hadn't seen. Time to hoze down the ivy and conifers I think... cobwebs yeuch

post-1180-0-41417900-1311767667_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter....

I just had a really funny phone call of my mother-in-law. Quite odd really considering I'd just opened this topic.

Anyway she was telling me how scared she's been since Saturday she had two huge butterflies in her house. She said they were both very dark brown but with lovley colours. She's scared of things that fly though.

Anyway one flew out but the other flew into a room she doesn't use and it would't go then she lost sight of it as flew near the light shade so rather cruelly she closed the door on Saturday night and waited until my other half went on Sunday so he could catch it. There was no butterly to be found and he just ignored her possible paranoia.

She's continued to ponder about where on earth it must have gone for a couple of days but today she opened her fridge and inside it was the same butterfly (or at least one that looked the same) :shock:

Anyway she got her betterware spider catcher out and managed to removed it thinking it was probably dead anyway... she walked outside opened the trap and the butterfly stretched it's wings and flew off :shock:

Well that's one for your butterfly spotting notes Geoff and she can't believe it either, neither could I at first but it's true.

My guess is that it was probably a different one but still doesn't explain how on earth it got in her fridge and how it survived... I wonder how long it had been in there for and whether it survived on her 'butter' :lol:

I saw a brown butterfly on the floor in my yard last week and it was lovely so I grabbed my camera, and just as I clicked the blummin' dog ran out and scared it. Here's the result but I doubt you can make out what sort it was Geoff.....

post-1180-0-53409400-1311768075_thumb.jpg

And this morning there was a lovely white one on my ivy so again I grabbled my camera. I only got this picture as when I was going closer I tripped over the hosepipe and it flew off with its twin which I hadn't seen. Time to hoze down the ivy and conifers I think... cobwebs yeuch

post-1180-0-41417900-1311767667_thumb.jpg

The top one looks like a comma butterfly see Mylink you can also see the Cabbage or Large White from there.

My link